Student organizations host alternative commencement

ASHLEY EDWARDS receives an award during the Black Student Union and National Pan-Hellenic Council commencement ceremony Sunday night in the Union ballroom.

Some students can’t wait to hear their name at the University’s commencement ceremony, but for senior Tiffany Smith, graduating means more than that.

Smith, president of Black Student Union, hosted a separate commencement ceremony in collaboration with the National Pan-Hellenic Council Sunday at 4 p.m. at the Union ballroom. The event allows members of both organizations to celebrate on a more personal level. It was BSU’s sixth ceremony, Smith said.

“This is a community-wide event that we encourage people to be apart of,” she said. “We basically want to celebrate with those who we spent the last four years with who really got to know our weaknesses and achievements, personally and academically.”

To be a part of the celebration, Smith said registration forms were in campus update, where people may fill them out in order to join.

“If you feel connected to this mini-community and you identify yourself with this community, we want you to be a part of the ceremony,” she said.

BSU and NPHC decided to have a ceremony aside from the University’s ceremony because it can recognize achievements the African-American community has done.

“This is something we all have been working on very hard to make sure this ceremony is a success,” said John Anderson, junior and president of NPHC.

Anderson said he was excited to see the final turn out.

The night consisted of an opening speech from President Mary Ellen Mazey, dinner for family and friends, awards recognizing academic achievements, singing and dancing, special graduate student guests and a closing keynote, Smith said.

Senior Kaila Johnson participated in the ceremony receiving a certificate for her accomplishments at the University from BSU and NPHC.

“Overall, I believe it was a great experience to celebrate with people I trust and love,” Johnson said. “I think it definitely shows how community comes together.”

Johnson said she thinks more people should be involved in them.

“If organizations feel like it is necessary to put these on, I think it would make them feel more connected,” Johnson said, “I think these type of ceremonies bring good to so many students.”

Both Smith and Anderson are not aware of other organizations hosting separate commencement celebrations from the University’s, but hope to see this happen more in the future.

“I think the University’s commencement ceremony is great because it is with everyone from your class, but since there are thousands graduating, not everyone knows them on a personal level,” Smith said. “These separate ceremonies give people the chance to celebrate with a close-knit community aside from that.”