Global Village hosts students of all countries

For Charles Polinko, living in the Global Village his freshman year changed his whole educational experience at the University.

“I’ve met people from all over the world,” Polinko, a senior, said. “I gained an understanding of different cultures and how to communicate through cross-cultural barriers.”

Polinko lived in the learning community on campus his freshman and junior years. This year he is the resident adviser for the community.

He heard about the community through a pamphlet in the mail when applying to the University, he said.

“I really felt like it would be a great way to meet people and learn about other cultures,” Polinko said.

The community, located on the third floor of Kreischer Darrow, pairs international students with American students so they can learn about each other’s culture, said Kefa Otiso, director of the Global Village.

“It encourages international communication and understanding,” Otiso said.

The Global Village may move from Kreischer to Kohl Hall for fall 2013, said director of Residence Life Sarah Waters. The community will move because of an initiative by the College of Arts and Sciences to move another learning community, La Comunidad, and the Global Village together, she said.

The Global Village is meant to be a microcosm that represents the global community, Otiso said.

“It’s a way for [American students] to experience other cultures without leaving the United States,” he said. “The Global Village creates an environment where we mutually work through these differences and hopefully come out better than we all came in.”

The village also offers classes for residents. The classes, usually general studies or international studies classes, are taught in a classroom in Kreischer and are reserved only for the students in the learning community, Otiso said.

While some of the classes are international studies, the Global Village includes students from all different majors, Otiso said.

“We believe no matter what major, everybody can benefit from a global understanding,” Otiso said.

The community also hosts programs for the residents, which center around a world focus and include international dinners, movies and music, he said.

The experience of living in the Global Village can benefit all students, Polinko said.

“They’re going to be coming in contact with people from all over the world,” he said. “It can only help you in broadening your understanding and your creativity.”

Polinko has seen students change in their time living in the learning community, he said.

“I see them take a lot more risks and really open up to different ways of thinking,” Polinko said. “They become comfortable with each other and able to learn from each other.”

The community aspires to have a resident from every country, Otiso said.

“You have to be able to work well with people from other cultures,” Otiso said. “People leave having developed skills that will allow them to operate in a global, multicultural environment.”

Living in the Global Village will broaden students’ perspective on the world as a whole, Polinko said. It helps them build their self confidence, abilities and relationships, he said.

Polinko said one of his favorite memories was from his freshman year, when he was given a letter from a fellow Global Village member from Japan. He said it was a great letter and it made him feel like the people he lived with were his best friends.

“I have made friends that I know will be my friends for the rest of my life even though they live halfway across the world,” Polinko said.

Common countries represented in the Global Village

China

Kenya

Japan

Ghana

Korea

Mongolia

Brazil

Ukraine

Kazakhstan

Mexico

Nigeria

*Countries represented vary widely. Information according to Kefa Otiso, director of the Global Village.