Fraternity to serenade students’ sweethearts

Love may be in the eye of the beholder, but the ear may not be so forgiving.

Lucky for students who can’t sing, they can pay Phi Mu Alpha to serenade someone special this Valentine’s Day.

Students who want to buy a serenade can go to the Union from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday and fill out a order form telling them where and when they would like the serenades to be sung. Students can also choose from a variety of songs.

The fraternity has been selling serenades in the Union since Feb. 7 and will be singing until Valentine’s day.

When filling out an order form, students need to specify a one hour time block that the person they will be buying for will be free so members can arrive on time.

Fraternity members call the buyer the day before to confirm when they will be going so the buyer will be there if they want to see it happen.

The money will be raised for a scholarship for the fall and to help replace ritual equipment.

“Other chapters have asked to use stuff and its been worn down, so we want to replenish our supplies,” Joseph Kuzdzal, treasurer of Phi Mu Alpha said.

Each year Phi Mu Alpha switches the songs they sing, but usually stick with a few signature songs such as “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” and “Ain’t She Sweet.”

“We actually doubled our playlist this year,” Zippay said. “Students can choose from six songs.”

Not only will students receive a song, but also a rose.

“You can get a certain amount of roses depending on which package you buy,” Zippay said. “Vases are also available.”

They provide their singing service both on and off campus within the Bowling Green city limits.

“Someone requested us to sing through Skype last year, so now we will sing over Skype or FaceTime,” Zippay said.

Senior Matthew Madison said he wishes they did this his sophomore year when he was dating a girl that went to a different school.

“She would have loved it because we had such a goofy relationship she would have expected it,” Madison said.

Kuzdzal said they’ve used the serenades for multiple things.

“Serenades have been bought for faculty members,” Kuzdzal said “We’ve also seen someone ask a girl out with a serenade before.”

For freshman JJ Fisher, he said it just depends on the girl and the relationship.

“If it’s your girlfriend you’ve been with for a while, she would probably think it’s cute and funny,” Fisher said. “But if it is a girl you’re not familiar with and trying to ask her to be your valentine, she might get embarrassed and think its weird. It might backfire.”

The group breaks into two groups of 15 dressed in tuxedos ready to sing.

“I enjoy providing joy to others through this experience of music in a different way,” Kuzdzal said.

Costs of Serenades:

Wednesday Feb. 13th

1 Rose and 1 Song – $10

3 Roses and 2 Songs – $15

12 Roses and 3 Songs – $30

Thursday Feb. 14th

1 Rose and 1 Song – $15

3 Roses and 2 Songs – $20

12 Roses and 3 Songs – $40

Optional Vase for flowers – $5

Skype/Phone Call Serenade – $5