Falcons take break from conference play

The University of New Orleans Privateers will sail to BG Thursday for a non-conference tilt with the Falcons.

This marks the first non-conference game for the Falcons since Dec. 31, when they lost to Temple 75-57 in Philadelphia.

“Its an opportunity, looking at the big picture, they are non-conference games to add to your overall record,” head coach Louis Orr said. “This time of year helps you want to improve. It gives you an opportunity to play some people outside your league.”

Since the start of Mid-American Conference play in January, the Falcons are 5-7 and have won three out of the past five games.

The University of New Orleans Privateers competed in Division II after leaving the Sun Belt Conference after the 2009-10 academic year.

After Hurricane Katrina, the University of New Orleans lost nearly 6,000 students, which in turn hurt the athletic department with a $600,000 loss in student fees. UNO had to cut scholarships and later downgrade to the Division II level to cover the costs of running the athletic department efficiently.

The Privateers have finally made it back to Division I membership and is competing as a Division I independent this season. New Orleans will officially join the Southland Conference in July.

The Privateers, who are currently boasting an 8-14 record, have had a tough season but recently started to gain momentum.

New Orleans started off the season with a 72-68 win against San Jose State Nov. 9, but it would not see another win against a Division I opponent until Dec. 12 when it defeated Nicholls State.

During that time the Privateers fell to Southern Illinois, Bethune-Cookman, Nicholls State, Southeast Missouri State and Duquesne. They defeated NAIA member Blue Mountain College Nov. 20.

After their win against Nicholls State Dec. 12, the Privateers lost their next seven games against Southern Illinois, Southeast Missouri State, Boise State, Mississippi State, the then-ranked No. 17 Butler and San Jose State.

The Privateers snapped their losing streak Jan. 12 by defeating ACCA member Champion Baptist 87-50.

Since Jan. 12, they have not lost two consecutive games and have won five of their eight games. They defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology, Champion Baptist, Texas-Pan American and Central Baptist. Their wins against NJIT and Texas-Pan American were won in triple overtime and single overtime respectively.

New Orleans’ past three losses came against Rice, Air Force and Houston Baptist — which also ended in overtime.

The Falcons will tip-off against the New Orleans Privateers Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Stroh Center.