BGSU men’s basketball faces off against two dominating defenses

The BG men’s basketball team will have the chance to be tested by two top basketball programs this weekend in the University of Wisconsin and Saint Louis University.

This past Friday, the University of South Florida left the Stroh Center with a 75-61 win over the Falcons. The Falcons will need to put that loss behind them as they travel to very hostile territory Thursday night against Wisconsin.

As if playing against one of the best, if not the best, defensive team in the country in the Badgers wasn’t enough, after that game they will travel to St. Louis for a game against another solid defensive team in the Billikens. The Badgers ranked seventh in points allowed last year with 55.9 while the Billikens ranked 14th in the same category with 58.2 points allowed.

“This is a great opportunity for being a mid major school to play against the best in the country,” said center Cameron Black. “It gives us a chance to prove ourselves against people who on paper are supposed to be better than you.”

Injured Falcons Chauncey Orr and Craig Sealey’s return to the court are still uncertain. Sealey has yet to see game time this season due to an injury in the offseason. According to head coach Louis Orr, Sealey has been practicing and is close to returning. Chauncey Orr has not seen game time since the first half of the Falcons season opener against Earlham College.

“It is game to game to see how each one feels.” Orr said. “Craig is getting close and hopefully Chauncey doesn’t miss much time.”

Wisconsin is a team known for their defense and their perimeter players and shooters. This Wisconsin team’s rotation one through five can play on the perimeter that they will need to defend at all times, Black said.

“I think our one through four can play on the perimeter as well,” Black said. “I think we matchup pretty good as long as we play defense and play together.”

Badger forward Sam Dekker poses the biggest threat to the Falcons in multiple phases. He can shoot from the perimeter as he is shooting 44 percent from behind the three-point ark, but his height at six feet seven inches gives him an ability to score inside as well.

“He plays on the perimeter, in the post and is their leading rebounder as well,” Black said.

The Falcons aren’t looking to do anything special against their opponents this weekend, Orr said. They just want to execute what they do best and generate their offense in different ways he said.

“We need to try and be as efficient as we can,” he said. “On offense we need to take advantage of every chance to get to score, because Wisconsin doesn’t just control you defensively they control their defense with their offense.”

They are not looking at this as any special opportunity, Orr said.

“Every game is a great opportunity we take them one at a time,” Orr said. “Any time you get the chance to play two quality teams at their place we have to be ready for the moment.”

These two games this weekend will be good tests for the Falcons so early in the season.

“We have to leave it all on the floor for 40 minutes or more,” Orr said.