NIOT week to highlight diversity

Not In Our Town week will be hosted throughout this week to help the campus and community become more aware of diversity issues.

Not In Our Town is a national campaign that was brought to the University this past spring to promote diversity and fight intolerance. The campaign began after several students tweeted racially charged messages directed at the black community, but it didn’t stop there.

After several discriminatory acts the Bowling Green and Toledo area this past year, students thought it was necessary to have a Not In Our Town week.

“We don’t think that students are educated enough about what is going on or how important Not In Our Town campaign actually is,” said Kevin Lewis, Black Student Union president.

Cuilin Ge, USG representative for the World Student Association, and Adriana Darris, Latino Student Union president, are two students involved in setting up the event.

There are multiple student organizations making up the events throughout the week, Darris said.

The events aim to raise awareness from a variety of groups, including African-American, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender groups.

“We encourage everyone to support each organization by attending each session,” Darris said. “Even if people already know about the issues, it’s a great way to check out other issues they might not have thought about before.”

Because this is the first Not In Our Town week, Ge said she hopes everyone walks away with something.

“I hope that this really does educate people on the issues and how they affect certain people,” Ge said. “It’s important for us to come together and stop the hate.”

Lewis agrees with Ge, but also wants to see the community members and students interact.

“I’m curious to see how the community and campus come together and support one another in this action,” Lewis said. “Every hate crime that has happened in Bowling Green [this past year] has affected more than just students, which is why we all need to come together.”

The events will run Monday to Saturday, and include a parade in downtown on Saturday.

“Hopefully this will show how important Not In Our Town really is and for everyone to utilize and be a part of it,” Ge said.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

Monday: Kick-Off Introduction, 7-8:30 p.m. Union Ballroom

Tuesday: BG Community Not In Our Town Kick-Off, 7-9 p.m. Junior high school Performing Arts Center

*There will be a free shuttle ride available from the Union parking lot at 6:30 p.m.

Trans Day of Remembrance, 8 p.m. Hanna Hall 107

Wednesday: LSU: Latinos in America 9 p.m., Union 207

Thursday: BSU/NCNW/WSA: Archis Bunker and Campus Climate, 7 p.m. B.A. 1007

Friday: iStand Advocacy Training, 1 p.m. Union 201

NIOT Meeting, 2-4 p.m. 304 N. Church Street

Saturday: BG Holiday Parade, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. Downtown

“The Black Xperience” Fashion Show by BSU/UAO 8-10:30 p.m. Olscamp 101 Cost: $5