Leadership in pirates help expand world exploration

As historians, we rarely deal with concrete facts, but instead must investigate centuries of objectified opinions and interpreted realities. The purpose of this investigation in leadership will be to focus on understanding the conflicting perspectives historians confront on a daily basis. While I have already raised the Alexander conundrum, this debate is rooted in unanswered questions in contrast to different opinions. For this exploration, I will propose the issue of perception with a very unique method and allow you to infer the question at hand.

The 16th century is often seen as the height of trade and exploration. Francis Drake is among the leaders of this growing movement. This explorer and merchant left an invaluable impact on the world. He was a leading figure in the slave trade which brought an illegal work force to the Americas. I will not condone slavery, but must recall the reality of its influence on the development of the Americas. In addition, Drake was among the world’s most accomplished explorers. Drake followed his passions of trade and exploration in sailing around the southern tip of South America. He continued to sail east en route to becoming only the second man to circumnavigate the globe, and the first to do it and return alive. Francis Drake is unquestionably an extremely important figure in the development of the Americas.

The 16th century is often seen as the golden age of piracy. El Draque is among the most distinguished scalawags on the high seas. A pirate leader’s success is often judged by his ability to ransack and instill chaos; El Draque was no exception. He notoriously ransacked Spanish port towns in the Caribbean and was remarkably successful in his attempts to do so. Not to be satisfied with ransacking the Spanish Main, this man took his fleet around the southern tip of South America. El Draque then proceeded to plunder Spanish cities and ships en route to becoming one of the most successful pirates of all time.

The 16th century is often seen as the founding period of the British Empire. Sir Francis Drake is among the greatest figures in British colonial history. Having been knighted in 1581 after he sailed around the world; he went on to make a great contribution as Vice-Admiral in the British defeat of the legendary Spanish Armada in 1588. Drake was a national hero. His unquestioned ability to keep the Spanish colonies at bay, allowed the English to establish a foothold in the race to colonize the Americas. The southern tip of South America, the Drake Passage, is named after the route he took in his glorious circumnavigation around the world. This trip not only brought glory to himself, but was a source of pride in the British Empire.

Whatever you choose to call this man, it is the facts, not the perceptions in this man’s life that are agreed upon. In the United States, he will be found as Sir Francis Drake in your textbooks, as these books are written from the British perspective. Britain’s dominance in the United States during its foundational period explains this. Had Spain been preeminent in America, Drake’s legacy likely would be one similar to those of Blackbeard or Henry Morgan. This principle, point of reference, has the greatest importance in going forward as we consider the next topic, one of immense controversy. In the next examination in leadership, I will make an unmakeable argument; I will write an encomium of Hitler.

Respond to Greg at