President Mazey receives two percent more yearly, $50,000 bonus after annual review

University President Mary Ellen Mazey will receive a two percent increase in salary and a $50,000 bonus as approved by the Board of Trustees.

The Board approved the increase and the bonus after entering an executive session on Friday to do an annual evaluation of Mazey.

This is the second consecutive year Mazey has received a salary increase and a $50,000 bonus. This past year, she gave the bonus to go toward student scholarships.

Mazey’s salary previously was $382,602, as of Dec. 9, 2012, according to a December article published in The BG News. This means that, with this two percent increase, her salary is approximately $390,000.

“The Bowling Green State University Board of Trustees wishes to recognize President Mazey’s fine performance as president during the 2012-2013 fiscal and academic year,” according to the resolution.

The resolution referred to the completion of a collective bargaining agreement with the Faculty Association and the successful accreditation report from the Higher Learning Commission.

All “meritorious” staff at the University received a two percent raise this year, according to the report.

The Board also approved both a revision to the strategic plan and a revision to capital construction projects.

The resolution alters a policy approved by the Board in May, 2008, that described the authorization and award of capital construction projects.

The original policy required any capital construction project estimated to exceed $500,000 to receive Board of Trustee approval prior to beginning the project. The new resolution increases that level to $1,000,000.

The original policy also required pre-design, site analysis and schematic design services of up to $150,000 to have prior Board approval. The updated policy increases that to $300,000.

These changes are in line with other schools in Ohio that have also increased these thresholds due to construction regulations and practices as well as the fact that construction projects are larger now than in 2008, said Chief Financial Officer Sheri Stoll, according to a presentation on board materials.

The new strategic plan updated the one approved in 2009, “charting our future,” that had several priorities concerning education, recruitment, retention, economic development and research, and diversity inclusion.

The revised strategic plan contains a mission that provides students with “educational experiences inside and outside of the classroom” and prepares students and graduates for “lifelong career growth, lives of engaged citizenship and leadership in a global society,” according to the resolution that Mazey presented to the Board.

The meeting was the first of the year for the Board and the first for David Westmeyer III, the undergraduate representative to the board, who is serving a two year term.

“I’m incredibly humbled to be here,” he said, addressing the Board. “It’s been a dream of mine since I got on campus. It’s amazing to see that dream fulfilled.”