BGSU Hockey drops two games against Union College

The BG hockey team had its season opening away series at Union College this past weekend.

The Falcons tied their first match Friday 3-3 and lost Saturday’s match 2-5.

On Friday, the Falcons began the game on the wrong side of the scoreboard as Union scored at the 10:08 minute mark of the first period off a goal from Eli Lichtenwald. That goal was followed by another Union goal with about one minute left in the first period.

In the second period, the Falcons answered with two goals in quick succession. Junior Dan DeSalvo scored the first goal for the Falcons at the 13:38 mark of the second period. Almost immediately following at the 11:44 mark freshman Falcon Pierre-Luc Mercier scored the equalizer for the first goal of his career.

Union College was able to take the lead once again with a goal at the 6:56 mark of the second period. The Falcons responded later in that period with a Bryce Williamson equalizer late in the period. Nobody was able to put another goal during the first game.

On Saturday night, Union got on the board first with a goal by Philadelphia Flyers third round draft pick Shayne Gostisbehere, approximately one minute into the game.

The Falcons, like the night before, answered right back with a goal of their own by another freshman Matt Pohlkamp. The goal tied game 1-1 at the 7:48 minute mark.

Union College had to back-to-back power-plays in the second period and both of those resulted in Union College goals which gave them a 3-1 episode.

After Union College scored two more goals early in the third period, BG was able to score its second goal of the evening with 9:32 remaining in the game.

The Union goaltender made the initial save, but could not hold onto the puck. Mark Cooper found the rebound and fired the puck into the back of the net, cutting the lead to 5-2.

The Falcons hosts the Ohio State University Buckeyes Tuesday at 7:07 p.m.