Secret student organization created to promote school spirit, happiness

While many students have daily set routines, a few others are busy living a double life.

The University organization known as SIC SIC started in 1946 and is the oldest running group on campus. 

The organization consists of six students wearing masks and full body costumes to uplift school spirit. The secret group goes throughout the University at night and hangs up signs, attends athletic events and walks by other students on campus to try to interact with them.

Michael Ginsburg, associate dean of students and SIC SIC adviser, said at the end of World War II, there were many veterans coming back to attend the University. President Prout at the time wanted to cheer everyone up because of post-war depression and make the students feel happy about attending the University other than just being enrolled for an education.

“His whole notion was to create this group that wasn’t about the individual but was about the institution and having secret identities makes them more about the University than about the individual,” Ginsburg said. “I think when people see them, they get excited. People feel a real connection. It’s a pretty unique tradition.”

There are two sophomores, juniors and seniors in SIC SIC and each is required to remain in the organization until they are unmasked as a senior after they go through the application process and are selected during the end of their freshman year. Members are not allowed to pick a mask to wear that has already been worn before by a different member.

A member of SIC SIC, who has been wearing the mask of Miss Piggy for two years, said being in the group is like living another life because of having to lie to the people closest to them. When it comes to questions from other students about secret traditions or things the student body isn’t aware of, the group, “like to make jokes about it.”

For example, there have been rumors of SIC SIC members using the underground tunnels to get to different areas throughout campus.

“Have we seen the underground tunnels, we don’t know,” Miss Piggy said.

Regardless of the jokes, it takes dedication to committing to the group, she said.

“Sometimes we get criticized for things and some people don’t think we represent the University in the right way, but I don’t think they understand how much time we put into it,” Miss Piggy said. “For three years, we do it all for the University and then get unmasked in one night. So we do it all for the University and not for ourselves.”

Alumna Kristen Gyorgak wore a Gene Simmons mask for three years while in SIC SIC.

The masks didn’t play a role in the group when it started because there was a curfew at the University, she said,  so the members would go and hang the signs up and do everything at night while people were inside sleeping. After time passed and the curfew came to a halt, the masks and coveralls slowly made a lasting impression on the group, she said.

People may have a difficult time interacting with SIC SIC members because they are afraid.

“I’ve made so many people cry it’s not even funny,” Gyorgak said. “Once people realize you’re just a college student too and you get talking to them then they will start changing their mind.”

Alumnus Brady Bourquin was a member of SIC SIC from 2002 until 2005 and said being a part of an organization that makes Bowling Green special is a great feeling. 

There was a unique feeling I would get while interacting with someone at an event, he said.

“It’s something special and you don’t have to always like something to realize that its special,” Bourquin said. “Those individuals help make the University special and [helping] them see that is great too.”

The seniors in SIC SIC are set to be unmasked on Feb. 1 at the hockey game.