Floral shop keeps expanding since 1918

Klotz
Klotz

Gene Klotz opened the doors of the Klotz Floral, Gift and Garden Center on Monday morning. Another day at the flower shop had started.

Gene is the third generation of the Klotz family to be operating the floral shop serving as the president and owner, which his grandfather started back in 1918 first as a vegetable garden from the open sides of his truck. Now, 95 years later, the floral shop has a 49,000 square foot garden center which has mulch, seeds, fertilizer, pesticides and potting soil. The flower shop also has a fairy garden for people to build a garden home for gnomes and other resident fairies on a deck or around their house.

Gene has worked at the family business for 43 years and said it’s difficult to keep a small private family business operating because things are constantly changing.

“It’s harder with the changing times with our customer base and the people’s needs,” Gene said. “It’s hard to keep that inventory but we’ve adjusted to that.”

Gene’s wife, Rita Klotz, has been working at the floral shop for 43 years as well and said the shop has expanded throughout the years and has gotten larger from when she first started. She said some of the trends have changed such as flower arrangements for the customers.

“Today we’re using more glass and doing things with more elements to them that interest people,” Rita said. “We’re using glass vases and containers where 10 years ago we were making arrangements using baskets.”

Rita said working at a family owned business is great and even though certain aspects of working at the shop makes it feel like actual work, she still finds enjoyable aspects about the place.

“I’ve met a ton of wonderful people over the years and I see it as helping people with a need that they have,” Rita said. “That part of it isn’t a job, that’s the enjoyable thing to do. I like to help people choose and make decisions on what they need.”

Senior Andi Yaussy has been working at the floral shop for two years as the garden center associate and said she enjoys working at the place because she loves to be outside and gardening has always been a hobby for her.

“I think the shop is awesome because you don’t see too many businesses that have been around for 95 years,” Yaussy said. “I really like working here because it’s small and everyone gets along. They work really well with student employees too.”

Gene said he gives credit to the University for the success of his family’s flower shop because it helps bring people in.

“If we didn’t have the University then we wouldn’t have the same town,” Gene said. “It keeps us having a balanced economy.”