Annual Pet Show brings uncommon animals, community together

Pet+Show
ANBENES
Pet Show

The Bowling Green Parks and Recreation Department put on their 52nd Annual Pet Show at the city park Wednesday.

People of all ages gathered in order to show off their pets and mingle with others in the community.

Kristin Otley, the recreation coordinator, believes that the show was started years ago to give children something fun to do during their summer vacations.

“I think when it started it was just for kids,” Otley said.

The fun and relaxed event is a great way for the community to come together and socialize without the pressures of hardcore competing, she said.

“Its obviously not ultra competitive, its not the Westminster Dog Show, we don’t have people bring papers or anything like that,” Otley said. “It just kind of fun and kind of laid back.”

However, over time the show has evolved to include anyone who wanted to participate or watch in order to create a free and fun event.

“We do get a lot of people who don’t have pets, but are still able to come and watch,” Otley said.

Regardless if the people who attended the show were participants, workers or watchers, many were ready to be entertained by the pets and their owners.

Elizabeth Latta, a staff worker for the parks camps, helped check contestants into their specific categories.

“Today is all about showcasing the different animals in Bowling Green,” Latta said. “We have 21 different categories and almost all of them are filled.”

Categories at the show included “pet with the longest ears,” “best groomed,” “shaggiest pet” and “best dressed” to name a few. But one category in particular was well liked.

“My favorite category [is] pet that looks most like [its] owner,” said Latta.

The category was also well liked by Otley who also appreciates the time and effort she receives from the staff.

“It’s always a fun time for [the camp staff] and they’re a huge help,” Otley said.

After seeing animals strut their stuff and show off their looks on stage, Otley remembered her favorite moment of the night.

“You know its going to be a good pet show when a horse trailer pulls in,” Otley said.

Seconds later she had witnessed a trailer pulling into the park containing donkeys and a goat.

“When the donkeys came on, that was pretty cool,” Otley said. “Because that’s not something we get every year.”

The donkeys may have been pretty impressive, but Amanda Athon, a first time participant, may have been more impressed with her dog Guss after he took first place in the category of “best pet trick.”

Athon explained that it took Guss about a week to learn his trick in order to win the first place ribbon.

“It’s really fun and I didn’t know what to expect,” Athon said.

After attending the pet show Athon encourages others to give the show a chance.

“Just remember to have fun [and that] the dogs have fun,” Athon said.

Latta also had words of encouragement for others who regularly don’t come to the show.

“It’s a fun time for the community,” Latta said. “It’s a great way to get families together.”

Its also a great opportunity for individuals who may not want to walk their pets across the stage to find a kid in the community who might enjoy doing it, Otley said.

To keep the pet show interesting categories are changed over the years. The crowd that comes to the show also stays consistent.

“We typically average about the same number of participants, entries and audience,” Otley said. “It remains pretty steady.”

The Pet Show held by the Bowling Green city park occurs every third Wednesday in July.

“Block your calendars for the 3rd Wednesday in July and start working on your tricks,” Otley said.