12th annual Classic Cars show breaks record attendance, brings in variety of cars

ANBENES
The Classic Cars on Main

The Classic Cars on Main event this past weekend showcased more than 350 cars from the early 1900s to the latest models of 2014.

The event has been part of the city’s summer agenda since 2001 with this year breaking records of attendance. The show had an exhibit on alternative fuel vehicles called “Electric Avenue.” The exhibit has gained more sponsors in the past couple of years because of the trend of moving from gas or diesel fuel to electric, Executive Director of Downtown Bowling Green, Barbara Ruland said. The winner of the exhibit was a 1912 electric car.

“Our committee did a great job about getting the word out about the event,” Ruland said. “We’re already looking for ways to expand the show next year.”

One of the more interesting cars shown at the event was Fremont resident and first-time participant Wayne Wesinger’s car. The car had a dragster front end ranging in about eight feet ahead of its pick-up truck body.

“Most of the old dragsters you climb in through the top, so I just wanted to do something different,” Wesinger said. “It’s different because you’re behind the rear wheel, it’s a little bumpier.”

Steve Greer, a Toledo native and the owner of the dark chestnut 1972 Corvette, said he has showcased his car at least 300 times since he bought it as a teenager in 1973. What he liked about having an older car is it gave him something to take his mind off the hassle of day-to-day life. He’s been keeping up with it ever since he bought it.

“It began when I was 15 years old, I could only afford older cars,” Greer said. “[My favorite part is] the relaxation part of being involved in finding the parts and getting away from the day-to-day hassle of other things.”

Freshman David Nabinger said going to the annual car show is a tradition for him as a local.

“It’s here, it’s free and I’ve been going to this for years,” Nabinger said. “I just think they’re cool.”

Another eye-catcher during the event was William E. Harris’ Thunderbird Jr. The electric car was made in 1954 for children and was a popular stop for the crowd during the show. The car is made on a quarter scale, meaning it is a quarter size of a real Thunderbird and a quarter of the price.

“The [Ford] company was using the car in the dealerships [for customers] to try out,” Harris said. “You’d put your name in a drawing to win one of these. It does about eight mph.”

Ruland said the committee is planning on having a debriefing of next year’s event soon where the topic of having unusual cars as a separate category.

“In general, this is the first year we changed the entry points for the show,” she said. “We’re going to just keep refining our process to make things go smoother for the visitors.”

The show itself is a huge undertaking, but is thankful for the community because without their support the show couldn’t go on, Ruland said. This year was also the first year the car show held a car hop delivery service, which she said is worth doing again next year.

“I look forward to coming here every year,” Greer said. “I want to thank the town of Bowling Green for putting this event on, it’s been a wonderful experience.”