New organization on campus based on shoes and charity

A walk in a new pair of shoes can also put a new pair on someone else’s feet.

A chapter of the national organization TOMS Shoes is now on the University’s campus for students.

“We really wanted to share the TOMS story about what happens when you purchase a pair of shoes or glasses,” said Alissa Barwinski, recruiter for the organization.

TOMS Shoes is an organization that gives a pair of shoes when you buy a pair to children who need them in more than 60 countries, including the U.S. They also offer a newer option that when someone buys a pair of TOMS sunglasses, they help pay for childrens’ eyecare needs.

“A bunch of us thought this would be a good opportunity to start something that would help others,” Barwinski said.

Last spring, Rodrigo Patterson, club president, was very interested in the “one-to-one” concept that TOMS represents, so he rounded up some people who wanted to be involved in the executive board, filled out the forms and made “TOMS Campus Club” official.

“I have a big passion for children and improving lives, and after doing some more research, I fell in love with the global impact aspect about it,” Patterson said. “I basically wanted to make this global message local.”

Although the club officially started a little less than three weeks ago, it has obtained more than 100 members.

“We couldn’t believe we already have this many members,” Barwinski said. “It was kind of a shock to us, but we are very happy so many people are interested in being involved.”

One reason sophomore AJ Napper was more than interested was when he found out about through Campus Updates.

“I didn’t actually know much about TOMS, but I knew I wanted to know more and help out,” Napper said. “What a great message the organization tells.”

For now, the group has a table in the Union where you can gain some extra information about the TOMS as well as sign up to be a part of the group.

It’s free to join and it’s not too time consuming for those involved in more than one extracircular activities, Barwinski said.

“Since I’m a college students and I don’t exactly have all the time in the world, I still wanted to help out,” Napper said. “I’m glad I can at least offer some time to this group.”

Even though the group is fairly new, there is some talk of up and coming projects in mind, such as a glasses drive and style your own soul. Details for the glasses drive are still in discussion.

Style your own soul is where the club will be partnering with University Activity Organization to sell plain TOMS at a discounted price if students bring either clothes or food. This project is not concrete and still in discussion as well.

“We just want to offer many opportunities for this group and for the national TOMS organization as well,” Barwinski said.

Giving a pair of shoes to a child in need isn’t the only service the organization serves, she said.

“It also provides people in different countries jobs to make shoes, make glasses and provide eye surgery,” Barwinski said. “We are just blessed to give back in endless ways.”