Respect artists’ expression, search for deeper meaning

I’m sick.

After Miley Cyrus’ VMA performance several weeks ago, I still see people’s negativity towards the celebrity and even remember seeing a post from a man that said “I think I need to go get a pregnancy test after watching that.” Yes, from a man.

I admit, her performance that night was pretty awkward to watch. I get it.

But recently after Cyrus’ music video for her next hit, “Wrecking Ball” was born to the entire planet, it’s like a catastrophe has taken over. I know she’s completely naked swinging back and forth on an actual wrecking ball, but guess what? There’s a symbolic meaning behind it. There’s an actual reason she’s presenting herself this way in the video. Cyrus told MTV News, “I think the video is much more, if people can get past the point that I’m naked and you actually look at me, you can tell that I actually look more broken than even the song sounds.”

I’m not a crazy fan of Cyrus, but she does have an amazing voice, let’s be real here.

I’m sick of seeing millions of Vine’s from people making fun of the artist. I’m sick of people laughing at one human being. Are you really laughing at her? Or is it because you see the majority of the world laughing at her and it’s sort of a trend in itself now?

Most importantly, I’m sick of people in the United States making such a big deal out of one person’s antics when, I don’t know, there is a serious crisis going on between the U.S. and Syria right now. Did you even realize that?

There are more important things to be amused and entertained by other than a girl just trying to be an artist. Why can’t we just stick to laughing at videos of a cat with a watermelon helmet on or from the “I like turtles” kid. You know, the simple but genius humor.

Even though the jokes keep increasing and I read about them on a daily basis on the Internet and hear about them from even my closest friends, it’s already getting old. It was old after the first five minutes from Cyrus’ VMA performance and it was even older after her video for “Wrecking Ball” broke the Vevo record for most views within a 24-hour period. Find something else to laugh about because I’m not impressed.