• My Favorite Book ā€“ Freshwater
    If thereā€™s one book that I believe everyone should read once in their life, itā€™s my favorite book ā€“ Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi. From my course, Queer Literature under Dr. Bill Albertini, I discovered Emeziā€™s Freshwater (2018). Once more, my course, Creative Writing Thesis Workshop under Professor Amorak Huey, was instructed to present our favorite […]
  • Jeanette Winterson for ā€œgAyPRILā€
    ā€œgAyPRILā€ (Gay-April) continues onĀ Falcon Radio, sharing a playlist curated by the Queer Trans Student Union, sharing songs celebrating the LGBTQ+ experience. In similar vein, you will enjoy Jeanette Wintersonā€™s books if you find yourself interested in LGBTQ+ voices and nonlinear narratives. As ā€œdead weekā€ is upon us, students, we can utilize resources such as Falcon […]

Racism on social media uncalled for against Miss America winner

After Nina Davuluri, Miss New York, won Miss America on Sunday night, the racist comments began.

People throughout the U.S. spoke through social media about how a “terrorist,” “Arab” and a “foreigner” was now the victor.

Was that too much to fathom for people? I know racism still exists, but I don’t think people should take advantage of their freedom of speech in such a negative way.

I even saw one person said Davuluri had ties to Al Qaeda. What gives you the right to assume such a horrible thing about an innocent human being? Davuluri was just trying to fulfill her dream of winning a huge pageant and succeeded. And now she’s being accused of being a terrorist.

People should think about how they grew up and the things they were taught from their parents, legal guardians or from whoever they were raised by. Were there any morality lessons learned?

Think about your own ethnicity. It amazes me how people can just live their lives not even considering other people’s race, but once it becomes an issue for several people, especially through television or on the Internet, it’s like this big conformist problem and the hidden truth about how they really feel is unleashed.

We live in the U.S. where we have so much freedom and are able to say what we want whenever we want and many people take it for granted. Now Davuluri has to deal with false criticisms instead of enjoying her title of Miss America like she is supposed to.

You see, there’s this thing called a “conscience.” You know, it’s supposed to give you the feeling of what is right or wrong. I won’t allow myself to believe people calling Davuluri a terrorist just because she’s not white is the right thing to say, conscientiously speaking.

At least for myself, I can say I grew up with an accepting family and am surrounded by people who really could care less about what ethnicity anyone is. It gives me an open mind about the world we live in. It allows me to remember that a soul dwells in every single body, one who has feelings, a beating heart, hair, fingernails. Just like me. Just like you. Just like any breathing thing on this planet. If you put a deep effort into thinking about ethnicity from another perspective other than what’s on your television or the Internet, good things can happen.