Faculty decorate offices with rarities, memorabilia

Though many faculty members might just have an office, a few of them try to make it feel like home.

Popular Culture instructor Matt Donahue’s office is decorated wall-to-wall with poster collages, action figures and records.

Donahue’s collection started when he was a child. He began collecting papers and posters which he used to make collages and branched off into 3-D things.

He enjoys collecting things because each item he has brings back memories.

“Artifacts for me have a connection to a place that I’ve been or maybe a place that has a personal connection to me,” he said.

Donahue also sees his collection as a type of work of art, which he gathers his items from places such as Goodwill, garage sales and gifts from friends.

“I really sort of akin this to a work of art,” he said. “Doing a room like this is basically kind of like making what they call an artistic environment. It’s something I take seriously. A lot of people might think, ‘well, you know, is this really serious artwork?’ It is serious artwork.”

Collages hang around his office which he has exhibited at art galleries. Besides his collages, he’s also exhibited and won awards for his art cars, which are cars he decorates with paint or paper.

Before Donahue worked in the Popular Culture department, he worked at the sound recordings archives with Bill Schurk, the sound recordings archivist, who has held his position since the archives opened in 1967.

Like Donahue, Schurk has a number of posters and memorabilia hanging in his office as well as the hallways throughout his office.

“This has been my home and I’ve been able to do what I want with every available space,” he said. “Not only is this office beautified, but the entire hallway leading up to and going past my office is always decorated.”

Among some of the most prized things in his office is a World War I propoganda poster given by his brother and a DOOWOP license plate that he first got in 1984.

Another Popular Culture instructor, Charles Coletta, has superhero memorabilia adorning his office.

“I do a lot with comics,” Coletta said. “I’m teaching a comics class at the moment, so I’ve got some different posters.”

He has a statue from the 2006 film “Superman Returns.” The statue features alumna Eva Marie Saint, who acted in the film.

“Believe it or not, she’s become a friend over the last couple of years,” Coletta said. “She wanted to know some more about Superman and I knew a lot about Superman and so I sent her a little information packet on Superman.”

Another one of his favorite collectibles is a bust of William Shakespeare, which opens up to reveal a lightswitch.

“It’s actually a fancy lightswitch. It’s a replica from the old “Batman” TV show with Adam West,” he said. “It wasn’t that expensive. It’s just plastic but I like it.”

Coletta enjoys having an office he’s comfortable in.

“It’s good to have an office that you like to come to,” he said.