Variety of University-related apps may assist students

Coming to a new place may be difficult for some students. Whether it’s meeting new people, figuring out where to eat or where to go, the University has developed a few apps to help students around campus.

The University started making apps several years ago, said Anthony Fontana, an instructor in the School of Art and designer of the apps.

“While our BGSU mobile website has some great information, it just doesn’t have the appeal of a native app,” Fontana said. “The students were asking for them, so we delivered.”

The University has developed a BGSU Calendar app, BGSU News app, BGSU Maps app and the BGSU Athletics app, each with its own benefit, Fontana said.

The BGSU Calendar app allows students to see all of the events going on throughout campus.

“The calendar app is good because you can find events on campus to go to, which brings BGSU together as a community,” said Ryan Copley, a student developer at the Agile Software Factory for the University’s apps.

Junior Sam Coulter believes the calendar app would help freshman students. It’s beneficial for them because going to campus events is good for getting involved and making new friends, Coulter said.

“I wish that I had known about this app when I was a freshman because I believe it would have helped me to become a more active member of the BGSU community during my freshman year,” Coulter said.

But sophomore Rachel Sieracke doesn’t care for the BGSU Calendar app.

“The Calendar app I don’t like because you can’t search for an event and it doesn’t say which days have events,” Sieracke said. “You have to just click randomly and see if there is an event on each day.”

The BG News app can provide useful information for students informing them about the University and downtown life.

“I think The BG News is a great combination of information delivery created by students for students with a powerful merchant and couponing service,” said Robert Bortel, director of student media.

Perhaps one of the most beneficial apps for students, especially freshmen, is the map app. The BGSU Map app provides a map of campus populated with a slew of icons ranging from parking lots, campus buildings, dining halls, Greek housing and athletic areas. The app also provides the ability to see where shuttles are on campus in real time.

“BGSU Maps will show each new freshman how to get to their classes on the first day,” Fontana said.

The final app the University has is the BGSU Athletics app.

“BGSU Athletics will appeal to every BGSU sports fan, especially those trying to find their seat in one of BGSU’s three venues,” Fontana said.

According to the app’s description on the Google Play app store, the app provides news, schedules, rosters, photos and location maps for the University.

And these aren’t the only apps the University is planning to offer. They have two new apps to release this school year.

“In just a few weeks, BGSU Campus will be the newest and best BGSU app in the App Store,” Fontana said.

The app includes campus dining eatery times and menus as well as Recreation Center information, Fontana said.

“You’ll be able to see if your favorite workout machine is free before you head over to the gym,” Fontana said.

It will improve student life on campus, Copley said.

Coulter is excited for the release of this new app.

“I like that it is putting all of the information from the multiple apps available now into one place which will keep it all organized and easy to access,” Coulter said.

Since they are putting information about the gym, it will be convenient for people coming from across campus or off campus, Coulter said.

“BGSU Campus should be published to the iTunes App Store within the first few weeks of the semester,” Fontana said. “However, it won’t make it to the Google Play store until later this fall or next spring.”

In addition to the upcoming BGSU Campus app, there is another planned app based around the Counseling Center, called BGSU Cares, Fontana said.

“This app provides a number of resources for students looking for help or who might be assisting a fellow student,” he said.

The app features notes written by students called “Messages of Hope” that can be seen and submitted within the app, Fontana said.

The app is set for release in the next few weeks.