$11.9 million crime lab to be built at University and finished by fall 2014

L-R Board of Trustees member Betty Montgomery, Board of Trustees Chair Debra Ryan, Senator Randy Gardner, Attorney General Mike DeWine, BGSU President Dr. Mary Ellen Mazey, Lucas County Sheriff John Tharp, Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn, Bowling Green Mayor Richard Edwards, Wood County Prosecuting Attorney Paul Dobson, and Tom Stickrath, Superintendent at Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation break ground for the new Bureau of Criminal Investigation laboratory on the campus of Bowling Green State University on Wednesday, July 24, 2013. (Craig Bell, BGSU)
Craig Bell

A new crime lab is soon to be built at the University to replace the one currently on the corner of Wooster and Leroy totalling at $11.9 million.

The state of Ohio currently has three crime labs being operated, and the replacement currently being built will undertake the forensic evidence from crimes that is collected.

This new lab will be approximately 30,000 square feet according to a press release from the Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

The money being used to build the lab was given to the Attorney General by the State.

“The money was given to the Attorney General, not the University,” said Steve Lab, a professor of criminal justice. “[The Attorney General] is essentially paying to have the lab built on campus.”

Tuition money and other student fees are not going to be used to pay for the lab.

“Students are not paying for this in any way, shape or form,” Lab said.

Lab said the new larger lab is needed.

“The facility they are in is a converted grocery store from many years ago,” Lab said. “It is very small, and it’s very crowded.”

Students will not be able to use the lab for classes due to the nature of the facility, Lab said.

“You cannot open up a lab that actually analyzes evidence from cases to other uses because then you have contamination of the evidence and that violates a number of different legal concerns,” he said.

Due to the new lab being built, there is a new opportunity for more curriculum in the Criminal Justice Program.

“We have three new specializations in forensics on the undergraduate level this fall, and we are planning a Masters in forensic sciences that won’t be open for at least a year, but that’s all because the lab will be here and will be a better opportunity to share resources and work with one another,” Lab said.

The three new specializations are forensic investigations, forensic chemistry and forensic biology.

Mike DeWine, Attorney General for the state of Ohio said that because the lab is being built on campus it will open up a lot of opportunities for both students, and the lab.

“Students will be able to intern with us right on campus, and they will be able to see what we do,” he said.

Lab said a majority of the interns will most likely be students in the Masters program.

As well as internships there is also a possibility for students to work with the crime lab after graduation, DeWine said.

“It’s a win-win situation,” he said. “It’s a win for Bowling Green, a win for the students, and certainly a win for us at our Crime lab.”

As for plans for a fourth crime lab DeWine said there are currently no plans.

“There is a lot of efficiency to be achieved with having everything in one place so we don’t have any plans to build a fourth [crime lab].” He said.

Senior Criminal Justice major Will Sellers said the lab is going to bring opportunities for many people.

“Not only for students, but you’re going to get more people looking for job opportunities and internships,: he said.

Senior Criminal Justice major Thomas Auxter said he thinks the lab will spark interest with potential students.

“Hopefully students are more excited about coming to bowling green,” he said. “Our program is very highly regarded.”