Konkrete Jungle to dance in new school year with third anniversary show

When Brian “What the Bleep” Scavo founded Konkrete Jungle Bowling Green three years ago, he didn’t know it would grow into what it is now.

“We were happy after the first one and then we decided to bring in a huge artist,” Scavo said. “The next one was an eye-opener and it showed we had a lot to learn. We had to work on getting a larger, steady following.”

Cla-Zel will be hosting the three-year anniversary of Konkrete Jungle Bowling Green (KJBG) Aug. 29, which will include live Disc Jockeys performing electronic music where people can dress as they wish. Throughout the past three years, the venue has hosted 25 events and booked more than 75 DJs, 11 who are national headliners and 30 who are from around the country. There have been three international talents who have performed at KJBG.

Scavo said attending KJBG is a unique experience because electronic music has elements of escapism and non-judgement for people interacting with the atmosphere. People have the opportunity to be themselves for a night and not have to worry about anything.

“We have this guy balancing chairs on his head and it’s like, ‘Why not?’” Scavo said. “A lot of the people that come to KJBG bring LED toys and they aren’t going to do it to show off, they’re going to do it in the back because they just want to. People who come want to express themselves and engage in the music in their own way.”

Cla-Zel owner, Ammar Mufleh, has been to many places throughout the world and knows what it means to interact with the electronic music scene. He said he keeps hosting the event because it brings a cutting-edge vibrant music scene to the town.

“My expectation is that we’re going to have an amazing array of artists and the music will be fresh, allowing people to just enjoy and interpret the music in many ways,” Mufleh said. “It’s a friendly environment and you’re able to enjoy it with your own experience.”

Mufleh said one of the most important aspects about KJBG is the music, in which people can feel and interact in a symbiotic way with the DJ and his/her beats or the way they are spinning the tracks.

“That’s one of the reasons why I love the scene and it’s been amazing to see it develop and thrive,” Mufleh said. “One of the interesting things is that each artists is attempting to create a dialogue with their fans.”

Junior Nicole Ritchey will be attending the KJBG anniversary event and said she has been going to the event since August 2011. She said she has been to the event more than 12 times.

“KJBG is a different atmosphere than the other clubs with the DJs and artists,” Ritchey said. “The music is an array of different classes of Dubstep and everyone is there to have a good time.”

KJBG is open to the public for $5 at Cla-Zel beginning at 9 p.m and will be continuing throughout the school year with expanded management.

“The key for us is to keep building on the momentum and introduce new people to KJBG because it’s something unique,” Mufleh said. “If you move out of your comfort zone to come out then it’s a great experience. No one is judging you or staring at you. Everyone is welcome.”