Crawford made field goal with six seconds left to give Falcons 46-44 win

BG fought its hardest in its first conference home game Saturday against the Eastern Michigan Eagles Saturday, and with the help of a three-point shot by senior Jordon Crawford with 6.1 seconds left in the game, won 46-44.

Senior A’uston Calhoun carried the Falcons with 17 points and seven rebounds, and Crawford was quiet for most of the game against Eastern Michigan but scored the winning shot from behind the arc with 6.1 seconds left.

“It was a great atmosphere tonight,” Crawford said. “Our fans were really into the game and it’s always great to play in front of your home crowd.”

This win snapped a 5-game losing streak that dated back to the win against Samford on Dec. 8.

“[This win] is huge,” Crawford said. “We haven’t won in a month. So this win, now, is going to get us going and hopefully start us off winning some more ball games.”

Both teams had a hard time making baskets in the game, especially in the first half. BG shot 32.1 percent and EMU shot 31.3 percent in the first half. The halftime score was 25-20 with Eastern Michigan leading but BG would come out of halftime ready to fight back.

Sophomore Anthony Henderson hit two of the Falcons’ five three-point shots in the game during the second half. One of his three-point baskets came at a crucial moment in the game to tie it up at 41 with a little more than five minutes remaining to play.

Calhoun scored a crucial basket to cut Eastern Michigan’s lead down to one with 1:48 left to play and then stole the ball right away. The Falcons would end up missing the following shot then rebounding the Eagles’ missed shot to set up the winning three-point play.

Sophomore Richaun Holmes recorded three blocks against the Eagles, boosting his total to 43 on the season. He tied with VMI’s D.J. Covington for No. 12 in the country in blocks per game with 2.87.

“We always preach defense,” head coach Louis Orr said. “Through it all, I thought that was the key to the game. We struggled offensively, which Eastern can make you do, there’s no crime in that. We knew we had to earn, work and scrape for every point.”

During the first half, sophomore Jehvon Clarke left the game after rolling his ankle. He immediately went to the locker room with the trainer and did not return the rest of the game.

“He sprained his ankle just a game or two before,” Orr said. “Its likely the same ankle… But I don’t know anymore than just an ankle sprain.”

Saturday’s win brings BG’s current record to 6-9 (1-1) and Eastern Michigan’s record falls to 7-9 (0-2). The Falcons’ next game is Jan. 16 at 7 p.m. in Oxford, Ohio to take on the 6-8 Miami Redhawks.