Men’s basketball falls short again in closing minutes

Luke Kraus guards an Eastern Michigan forward. Kraus had two points in the Falcons loss at Buffalo.

Despite being ahead by 12 points during the first half and having three players score in double figures, the Falcons fell to Buffalo 68-65 on Saturday.

The Falcons’ record dropped to 6-11 (1-3) and Buffalo’s record improved to 6-12 (3-1).

Seniors A’uston Calhoun and Jordan Crawford as well as sophomore Chauncey Orr scored 16, 18 and 14 points respectively in the loss at Buffalo.

The Falcons led by as much as 12 points in the first half and led 33-25 at halftime but they fell apart during the second half. BG did not score a field goal in the final 5:45 in the game, which led to its collapse against the Bulls.

Sophomore Richaun Holmes made the most of the 17 minutes he played by recording two blocks against the Bulls and is now ranked No. 21 nationally with 2.71 blocks per game and No. 25 nationally with 46 total blocks.

Senior Luke Kraus played a total of 30 minutes off the bench and scored two points off the two shots he attempted in the loss. Kraus replaced sophomore starter Anthony Henderson who only played 12 minutes.

BG had a chance to tie the game up to send both the Buffalo and Miami games into overtime but Crawford missed three-point shots in both losses.

During the game against Buffalo, Crawford joined the 1,000-point club. He became the 41st player in program history to do so. Calhoun reached the 1,000 career point mark earlier this season.

BG leads the Mid-American Conference in lowest turnovers per game with 12.4. Toledo is the next lowest with 12.8 turnovers per game.

The Falcons next game is Wednesday at the Stroh Center against the 11-7 (2-2) Kent State Golden Flashes at 7 p.m. BG will travel to Toledo on Saturday to take on the 6-9 (2-2) Rockets.