BGSU men’s basketball team travels to Xavier University after Monday home victory

The BG men’s basketball team will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio for a matchup with Xavier University at 2 p.m. Saturday.

The Musketeers started the season with an impressive 5-0 record but have dropped three straight since then. All three of those losses came in the Battle for Atlantis mid-season tournament an overtime loss to Iowa and another loss to USC stopped their trip to the Bahamas early.

“They played good teams on a neutral site,” head coach Louis Orr said. “No game is easy we have to be aware that they are going to hungry team.”

Their worst loss from the Bahamas came against Tennessee University and lost that game as well by a score of 64-49.

Semaj Christian is a very dynamic point guard for the Musketeers as he leads them in points per game and assists per game.

“Semaj is a very tough point guard,” forward Spencer Parker said. “I know he will be a main focal point of ours.”

This Musketeer team has had a problem with holding on to the ball so far this year as they are averaging 14 turnovers a game. This should play right into the Falcons game as they have shown in past games that they are very good at forcing turnovers and finishing the fast break afterwards.

“We can get them to turn over the ball as much as they are averaging then that will be huge for us,” Parker said. “We have been playing well in transition so that would be great for us.”

While the Musketeers are bad at keeping control of the ball, they make up for it with their ability to score in transition off of turnovers or defensive rebounds. Rebounding will be something the Falcons will need to focus on as they have a -1.1 differential in that stat.

Staying out of foul trouble will only help the Falcons in the rebound category. In previous games fouls have hindered big men Cameron Black, Richaun Holmes and Josh Gomez. With the three of them in foul trouble it forces Coach Orr to use reserves who do not have the height of those three.

“Foul trouble can always affect you but you need to have depth,” Orr said. “We need to get Gomez comfortable out there because you need to have depth.”

Craig Sealey has had a big impact off of the bench as he is working his way back to 100 percent from his offseason knee injury. In the win against Western Kentucky Monday he totaled 12 points in the first half to give the Falcons a boost in the first half.

“Craig has been able to split up the minutes,” Parker said. “He has been able to help us out wherever we need it.”

It is still unknown if Chuancey Orr another Falcon who has been hurt this year will play Saturday against Xavier as he will get his knee reevaluated and a decision will be made then.

The Falcons will look to go back over that .500 mark with a win in Cincinnati Saturday, while the Musketeers will look to avoid a four game losing streak.

“We have to be a hungrier team Saturday,” Orr said.