University functions through shared responsibility, leadership

Before a major change happens at the University, it must first get approval from the Board of Trustees.

The Board of Trustees is a group of 11 individuals appointed by the Ohio governor who are authorized to ensure proper maintenance and continuous operation of the University.

The University’s board consists of teachers, attorneys, business owners and former city council members, said Pat Pauken, secretary to the Board of Trustees.

The board, now chaired by Debra Ryan, is mainly charged with approving any major changes to University policy and selecting a president.

So far this semester, the board has approved a $50,000 bonus and a two percent salary raise for University President Mary Ellen Mazey. It also approved a policy that requires board approval of capital projects exceeding $1 million, a number that was $500,000 before.

These approvals came at the October meeting. The next meeting is Dec. 6.

At that meeting, the board will vote on approving Marie Huff as dean of the College of Health and Human Services.

On behalf of the Undergraduate Student Government, Jill Carr, vice president for Student Affairs, will bring a proposal to make “Ay Ziggy Zoomba” an official fight song of the University.

Other items needing board approval before going into effect include any raises to tuition, the addition of new majors and faculty personnel decisions.

Nine of the trustees are appointed to nine-year terms. The other two members are student representatives appointed to two-year terms. The terms are set so one new trustee and one new student representative is appointed each year. Seven of the trustees are University graduates.

“They remember what it’s all for because they remember the role they played here as a student,” Pauken said. “They’re moving the University forward, but with a great deal of energy and commitment.”

But while the board sets policy, it is President Mazey’s responsibility to manage the University.

“Presidents don’t dictate; they facilitate,” Mazey said. “The role of the president is to make sure the University operates in the most efficient and effective manner.”

Nothing can reach the board for review without first having Mazey’s stamp of approval.

“Ultimately, the president has to be the leader of the institution,” Mazey said.

At the beginning of each year, Mazey outlines goals of what the University should strive for. The Strategic Plan, which comes from the president’s office, also serves as a guide for what changes can be made.

This year’s goals include developing the infrastructure of the campus, fostering partnerships with private businesses and other universities and promoting diversity and inclusion.

Anything that is brought to Mazey needs to be in line with these goals and there needs to be reasonable expectation that the president will approve it, said Chief Financial Officer Sheri Stoll.

“The things I’m spending my time on need to be based on the Strategic Plan and the goals she’s identified,” Stoll said.

Administrators must also be mindful of the University’s position as a public institution, said Rodney Rogers, provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs. Meaning all policy changes should reflect the needs of the larger community.

“There’s a public interest component here as well,” Rogers said.

To ensure administrators are on the same page, Mazey appointed a 15-member cabinet which meets once a week.

Each cabinet member has a different section of the University to oversee. For instance, Rogers oversees the deans of the nine colleges, as well as the graduate college and admissions.

“Every member of cabinet has different pieces and responsibilities for the institution,” Rogers said. “We are constantly updating each other on what we’re working on.”

This dynamic allows for a variety of opinions, but ultimately the cabinet is able to work together, Carr said.

“We all have strong opinions but we’re able to come to a consensus,” she said.

Whenever Carr has a proposal for a change, she said she makes sure a number of constituents have a voice, she said.

“Policies are a big deal and that’s when appropriate input of those impacted are important,” Carr said.