Alumnus lands dream job at NASA

The sky is not the limit for alumnus Carl Sandifer.

Sandifer graduated from the University in 2005 with a bachelor’s in applied mathematics currently works for NASA serving as the Planning Lead for the Radioisotope Power Systems (RPS) Program Office Management Team, which works to deliver radioisotope power systems (RPS) to NASA missions. A few of the missions Sandifer has been a part of were The Voyager and Curiosity Mars, which are both powered by RPS and don’t require sunlight to operate.

Sandifer said working for NASA is a dream come true and he always wanted to do something that allowed him to connect to space in some way, whether being an astronaut, providing navigation or supporting the development of future space missions.

“Working for the programing office that generates RPS systems that integrated into space craft to do deep space missions and explore the solar systems is the coolest thing in the world for me,” Sandifer said. “It’s nice to feel like I’m contributing to some of those questions we have as a human race that we’ve always wanted to know about things in our solar system.”

Sandifer worked toward his degree at the University while supporting his child and was involved with Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. He also met his falcon flame during his time at the University, whom he is currently married to. He said his time spent at the University helped him prepare for essentials in what he currently does at NASA.

“The actual fundamentals and how to manipulate equations really made it [possible] to excel at NASA,” Sandifer said. “I got a very sound, quality education for me at BG and as a result I was able to have a very successful opportunity at NASA.”

Emily Monago, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, was Sandifer’s adviser through a scholarship program and said he was a student who stood out because of his maturity and willingness to take the extra step in getting things done.

“I remember when I was writing my dissertation and I needed people to help me out, he was one of the first people in line to help me out,” Monago said. “He was always a very helpful, caring, engaging and … with all of those things going on he was trying to help others.”

James Jackson, director of the Gateway to College Program at Owens Community College, said when he was teaching an extended orientation class aimed at trying to keep minority students focused on school, Sandifer instantly became involved and ended up becoming the student facilitator for the class.

“Even as a freshman he was more focused and serious than other students,” Jackson said. “Carl knew why he was in college and he wasn’t going to blow it partying and drinking because he was on a mission to graduate and I’m pretty proud.”

Sandifer said he enjoys his time at NASA and would not trade it for anything else.

“I definitely wake up in the morning excited about coming in the next day to support my team in really cool challenges,” Sandifer said. “If you can plan things out strategically, you can really get things done.”