Gospel Choir sings holiday tunes, raises $400 for Wood Lane Residential Services

ANBENES

Singers in The Gospel Choir perform holiday songs in the Union Ballroom on Thursday night. The event raised money for those with developmental dissabilities.

The Bowling Green Gospel Choir performed a benefit concert for Wood Lane Residential Services last night.

Wood Lane, located on Pearl Street, provides services to those with developmental disabilities in Wood County.

The event raised around $400, said Marte Sorg, Wood Lane’s staff training and volunteer specialist.

“It’s $400 we didn’t have before, and it was free to do,” Sorg said.

The money will go into the general activity fund, Sorg said. This fund supports recreational activities and supplies for Wood Lane, especially for residents who may not get those resources from their families, she said.

The theme of the concert was “Holiday Happiness.” The choir sang six spiritual songs and finished the evening with “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” which they invited audience members to join in singing.

The audience consisted largely of Wood Lane residents, employees and their families. Sorg estimated that 75 people attended.

“I was interested to spend some time with the Wood Lane residents and also to hear the gospel choir,” said Mary Dennis, whose sister-in-law works for Wood Lane.

Wood Lane provided poinsettias, a handyman basket, a home canning set and a kitchen set for door prizes. The choir gave away two sets of passes to their Gospel Fest that they are hosting in January.

“[The concert] was very relaxed and laid back,” said choir director Nate Summers. “Usually we’re very dressed up and have musicians with us. It seemed very intimate.”

The choir members enjoyed the experience.

“It felt amazing. It’s a great experience to give back to the community,” said freshman Imani Oliver. “They were in the Christmas spirit.”

Freshman Taylor Rodgers appreciated the audience reactions as well.

“I just enjoyed seeing them react to our songs. I just enjoy making people smile,” Rodgers said.

Wood Lane frequently works with student groups.

“[Tau Kappa Epsilon] this semester has been fantastic,” Sorg said.

She also mentioned Alpha Phi, Omega Pi Alpha, Veritas and the TOMS Campus Club. The organizations have helped with activities such as bingo, making crafts with residents and passing out cookies.

“Probably 90 percent of our volunteers are [University] students,” Sorg said.

The concert came together because Sydney Howell, choir social chair, volunteers at Wood Lane.

“They asked if the gospel choir would ever work with them and do a concert,” said Taylor Baumle, a co-chair of the concert.

This was the first collaborative project between the choir and Wood Lane.

“We’re hoping to continue to work with Wood Lane in the future,” Baumle said. “It’s been a really positive experience.”