Graduation fee serves important purpose

Because of an estimated $16,000 spent each year at the University, a graduation fee is the last thing many students want to pay for.

“I give thousands of dollars to attend this university, I shouldn’t have to pay to graduate,” said Kim Obringer, a senior who will be graduating in spring 2014.

Graduate and undergraduate students at the University are expected to pay a $35 fee to apply for graduation but some students have questions as to what this fee contributes to and why they are required to pay it.

“To my knowledge we have the lowest graduation fee compared to other schools in Ohio with their fees being between $50 and $100,” said Lorrie Sawaie, Administrative Secretary of Division of Student Affairs.

This $35 fee has nothing to do with whether a student participates in commencement. This fee is used for each ceremony hosted in May, August and December.

“I was upset at first because I felt like I already fulfilled the requirements,” said Sh’Dymond Pierce, who is graduating this December. “But now my fee is paid for so I have nothing to worry about.”

If a student is expecting a degree through the mail then paying this fee is necessary. The charge of it is for numerous of things.

This fee is for the clearing of graduation, receiving transcripts and shipping and handling of the degrees, Sawaie said. This background work is handled by personnel in the offices of Student Affairs, Dean of Students and records and registration.

Although the $35 fee covers the things listed above, it does not cover the cost of the cap and gown that graduates wear during commencement.

There are some circumstances that cause the fee to be refunded back to students. If students thought they were to graduate in the spring semester and paid the fee and records show that they aren’t actually graduating until fall, they are expected to pay that $35 fee again for the December ceremony.

“I know that I worked very hard for this degree itself, so I’m expecting a degree on the wall and so is my mother,” Pierce said, “I advise all graduating seniors to pay this fee.”

For students who are curious as to how to pay this fee, they will be billed by the Bursar’s Office after your graduation application has been submitted. They can check their billing statement by logging on to “MYBGSU” under the “bursar view bill/pay link.”

“You’ve all come too far to have nothing to show for it,” Pierce said.