Toledo band to perform at Howard’s Club H

We caught up with Toledo rock duo Silent Lions to talk about their winter tour, what kind of material the band is currently working on and what it’s like to always return to play at Howard’s Club H. Dean Tartaglia, who sings and plays bass and Matt Klein, who plays drums, are performing at Howard’s Club H Saturday, March 22.

Q. How was the winter tour?

MATT: We were on the road for nearly a month starting when our new EP “The Compartments” was released. It’s always exciting to get new music to people and it was worth the late nights carrying equipment over small glaciers in the subzero temps. Then we had an amazing time at our homecoming show in Toledo the last day of the tour.

Q. What are you guys currently working on right now as far as getting new material out?

DEAN: Touring as often as we have has kept us very creative and inspired. We have been busy whenever we get some down time at home, but we have written well over a dozen new songs since last fall. It’s gotten to the point where, for the first time, we are thinking we may have enough songs for an LP on our hands. Anything from here on out is unmarked territory and is very exciting for us.

Q. Where will you guys be heading next to perform and how soon will you start touring again?

MATT: We are playing some weekend shows this month, including Howard’s March 22, while we rehearse new material and start shooting the video for a new single. We consider this as our own ‘spring break’ … then we’ll head back out in late April into May when the video is released, visiting more Midwest, east coast cities and heading a bit farther south as well.

Q. How does playing at a bar like Howard’s Club H contribute to performing the show?

DEAN: I remember hearing stories of Howard’s from 10 years ago, when national acts would frequently come in and there was more of a scene … there is a lot history in that venue, and no matter the state of things there is an intangible excitement every time we play Howard’s. There is a great atmosphere, which for me truly parallels other legendary venues, such as the Blind Pig, The Magic Stick or Frankie’s.