Zoos helpful to study of animals, environment aid

There is proposed legislation in California to end Orca shows and captive breeding.

In short, this legislation is targeted at Sea World and its most recognizable face— Shamu.

This legislation comes as the result of many years of hard work by zealous animal rights groups who have gone so far as to produce propagandist mockumentaries about Orcas and an attempt to have them classified as a slave group under the 13th amendment.

First of all, shame on these groups for de-emphasizing the 13th amendment and making a mockery of slavery while it still presents a massive social challenge around the world— including this country.

These groups’ aim is commendable— to end mistreatment of animals and promote their well-being. Between environmental and human interference, countless species around the world are in danger; many less fortunate species are extinct.

As a conscientious objector to veil, I have an informed understanding of the more domestic challenges that animals face. Groups like PETA have momentary moments of brilliance; however, their argument in this case is so fundamentally false and fictitious that it borders on the verge of fantasy fiction— I originally wanted to call it ‘science fiction;’ however, I could not in good faith use the word ‘science’ anywhere near their argument.

As a group who wishes to promote the well-being of animals, it is nothing short of asinine to target zoos.

While you may believe zoos are designed for you to go look at rare and exotic animals for an afternoon, you are completely wrong.

Zoos are designed to do supportive research with animals, make money to conduct more research, and educate millions of people about the importance of protecting the wildlife. Zoos merely tolerate our presence long enough to get money and foster a culture that is more in-tune with the needs of wildlife.

Take for instance Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Fla. Since officially classifying itself as a zoo, Animal Kingdom is regularly recognized as one of the top three zoos in the country— along with San Diego and Columbus. Millions of people a year go to Animal Kingdom and learn messages of conservation and harmony. Not a single one of these guests will ever see what I have seen in person.

Along with the dozens of endangered species that guests are able to see, there are many behind the scenes projects. Fewer than a hundred people a year visit the research aviaries that house some of the rarest birds in the world; including the Malaysian Kingfisher— a bird that just over 100 specimens survive worldwide.

Disney has a breeding population of them— just over 10 percent of the species entire population— and does not care, at all, whether you know about it as Disney will never make these animals available for public viewing.

Similarly, the Columbus Zoo has world renowned centers of Lowland Gorilla conservation and Manatee rehabilitation. These institutions, and much more, are funded by money made via admission charges to the zoo.

The fact is research and animal conservation is going on behind the scenes of all of these institutions around the world. For every Jane Goodall there are 20 zoos conducting similar research under safer and supportive environments.

If you remove Shamu from Sea World, you will not only remove the parks most iconic face and challenge the park financially, you will adversely impact the trained professionals’ ability to learn about how to protect Orcas in the wild.

It is a matter of conservational fact that the work done in zoos benefits wildlife. Also a fact is that mockumentaries like ‘Blackfish’ present misleading evidence and pure fiction to propose a social agenda.

Do the research yourself.

Do not be fooled into supporting this movement.

Respond to Greg at