Baseball team beats Eagles in extra innings

Jeremy Shay catches a ball to tag one of the Kent State base runners out. The Falcons defeated EMU 11-8 in the tenth inning this past Wednesday.

The BG baseball team continued its streak Wednesday night, defeating Eastern Michigan 11-8 in 10 innings.

After defeating the Eagles in extra innings, the Falcons improved to 20-20 on the season and have won 14 of their last 18 games.

While the Falcons jumped out to a 6-2 lead on Wednesday night, it would be the late comeback that would seal their fate.

The Eagles scored five runs in the fifth and one in the sixth to take an 8-6 lead over the Falcons. Nonetheless, the Falcons battled back in the top of the eighth inning when Jeremy Shay had an RBI single to make the score 8-7. With two outs Logan Walker would single home Shay to tie the game to head into extra innings.

In the top of the 10th inning it was Pizza Hut player of the week Jake Thomas who doubled in Brandon Howard from left-center field to give Bowling Green a 9-8 lead. Howard walked, and stole second base earlier in the inning. Tyler Griener would add to the lead with an infield single, and the Falcons had an 11-8 lead going into the bottom of the 10th frame.

Relief pitcher Trevor Blaylock retired the Eagles in the 10th inning earning the win on Wednesday. Blaylock threw three scoreless innings while striking out two Eagles on two walks, and two hits while increasing his record to 2-1 on the year.

Thomas, Patrick Lancaster, and T.J. Losby all had multiple hits for the Falcons Wednesday. Losby boosted his average up to .355 on the season, which now ties him with the team leader Brian Bien. Losby and Lancaster also had two RBIs against the Eagles, making their totals 30 and 16 on the season.

The Falcons will continue their road trip by traveling to Oxford, Ohio to face the Miami RedHawks in a three game series this weekend. The teams will play game one on Friday at 6 p.m. The two squads will then resume play on Saturday at 1 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. to finish up the series.

No. 11 ranked Indiana defeated Miami 16-1 this past Wednesday. The RedHawks enter the weekend series with a 20-24 record, and 10-8 record in the Mid-American Conference, which is the same as the Falcons. The winner of this series will be in third place in the MAC East.