Basketball season still offers excitement

Most sports fans have moved on to baseball season, since the basketball season usually ends by March with March Madness and everyone’s bracket was at some point broken.

But basketball is still happening, and it will continue until the middle of next month.

For those that have been following the San Antonio Spurs, the fans definitely got a show and a game to talk about. Game three of the Western Conference Finals against the Oklahoma City Thunder was a close 97-106 loss this past Sunday. The Spurs are currently leading the Thunder in the series 2-1.

The biggest highlight for the Thunder team was the return of their star player Serge Ibaka. Ibaka was rumored to be out of the playoffs for its’ entirety due to his recurring calf strain injury that he suffered during the last series against the Clippers. He surprised a lot of fans when he came back and played minutes in all four quarters of play. The Thunder benefited greatly from the return of Ibaka in the game, adding solid defense inside as well as a finishing option for the pick and roll. Coach Scott Brooks took him out in the fourth with about three minutes left in the game, finishing with 15 points, seven rebounds, and four blocks.

The turning point for the Thunder was the fourth quarter. The Thunder went on a 12- point run in the first four minutes of the quarter that pushed their lead from 83-76 to 95-78. The momentum was fully in Thunder favor after a big three from Caron Butler off of a Derek Fisher assist.

The front-runners for the Thunder were their two usual stars. Russel Westbrook neared a triple-double with 26 points, seven assists and eight rebounds. League MVP Kevin Durant scored 25 points along with 10 rebounds and Reggie Jackson made a solid contribution with 15 points.

For the Spurs, the leading contributors included Manu Ginobili who scored 23 points in 23 minutes, Tim Duncan with 16 points and eight rebounds, and Kawhi Leonard with 10 points and two steals.

Before game 3, the much older Spurs have dominated the series. The first game was a lopsided win 122-105 and the second game was the same result, 112-77.

Game five of the series between the two teams will be played on Thursday at

San Antonio.