Censoring self on Twitter can be beneficial, rewarding

Social media, by definition, is used to socialize and connect with others through specific websites and applications on cell phones.

But is there a fine line on how much one should share about their life on their social media sites, such as Twitter and Facebook?

Avid social media user and University student Luke Hawkins prefers Twitter to Facebook for one reason — to share with his followers what’s going on in his life and what he thinks is funny.

“There’s actually a lot of criticism towards me for how random some of my tweets and retweets are. I giggle at a lot of them,” Hawkins said. “Other people look at me thinking, ‘What the hell did I just read?’”

Hawkins started off how most users did; by tweeting quick updates and conversations amongst his friends and followers. That quickly changed when he realized the unlimited amount of stuff he could post, making him what he refers to himself and non-famous people as “Twitter Famous.”

“I feel like I’ve blown open a new door to [this],” Hawkins said. “They’re not Hollywood celebrities. They are just regular people with professional jobs, who proceed to tweet the funniest [things].”

Hawkins discovered that when he would post more comical tweets reflecting his own opinions, the more followers he would gain. He now has more than 400 followers.

Alberto Gonzalez, chair in the Department of Communications, is working on research with other communication and media professors at the University about where tweeting crosses the lines when it comes to what people post about.

“[People] who use social media shouldn’t say something online that is meant for only one person and not 2,000 friends to see,” Gonzalez said. “This stirs up a lot of conversation.”

What people easily forget is that friends and followers on these sites can still share statuses and retweet tweets, which allows those opinions that may have been only meant for a selected audience, available to a much larger audience that was not originally intended.

Even if someone’s Facebook is private, friends can still share the status allowing that user’s friends to see it. If someone’s Twitter is private, their followers can still quote the tweet for their followers to see.

“Comments could reach all over because of the constant interaction that is available,” Gonzalez said.

Hawkins said he believes the opposite; that the purpose of posting things is to share it with others.

“It’s like a competition, but not really,” he said. “You retweet other accounts so other people can see their tweets and in turn, you hope they do the same for you.”

He compared it to unknown musicians and how “others spread the words and then it becomes a chain reaction.”

There is still the question of what draws the line when posting personal and professional things.

Gonzalez said a lot things posted on these sites are not censored and have no self-editing, which isn’t always a good thing.

“People might make comments they may not realize may be offensive to someone else who views it,” he said.

The research Gonzalez participated in reviews the tweeting of a woman named Justin Sacco, who is a director of corporate communications for InterActive Corp. She tweeted the following: @JustineSacco: “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:19 A.M. right before her plane took off on her way to Africa for a work trip.

The tweet went viral by the time her plane landed where cameras and media greeted her. She was fired immediately from her job.

“[She] was exposed in a way that wasn’t intended,” Gonzalez said.

Although Hawkins isn’t opposed to posting personal or offensive things, he isn’t for it either.

“Be funny. Be unique,” he said. “Don’t sit and wallow on Twitter, begging for attention because of some personal affair to tragedy.”

While Hawkins said there is a reason things stay personal, senior Landon Watts doesn’t.

Watts, also an avid user of Twitter, posts random thoughts and things he thinks are funny.

“If I see something walking to class or am having a bad or good day, I usually tweet about it,” Watts said. “If I post something I think may be inappropriate, I will delete it.”

Gonzalez said students should watch what they’re posting when they are looking for internships and jobs because employers have the right to ask you to make your profile un-private.

“Employers can request so they know what their employees are saying,” he said. “However, you can chose if you want to do that and work for them or not.”

Regardless of what site students’ use, Gonzalez said they should watch what they post by being cautious of others and self-editing.

“Like I’ve said a million times already, don’t post something that was meant for one person,” Gonzalez said. “It’s not worth it.”