Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• Women in Horror for Halloween
    It’s that time of year again where the weather is starting to cool down and the Halloween decorations are being put out. For me once it hits end of September my TBR becomes nothing, but horror and thriller novels. As a big mood reader the seasons and holidays determine what I want to read next. […]
  • My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]

Be cautious of manipulators, be true to self

Throughout this column, I will make a few confessions.

To some, they may seem silly, but they keep me true to myself.

My first confession: I am a worm-dodger.

On any given rainy day, one might find themselves jumping in mud puddles reminiscing their lunch box days. Or one might spend their time whining about their now frizzy hair.

I, however, find myself giving my professors an explanation of my late arrival or, feeling guilty that they expect one, begin writing a sob story in my head.

If I am walking from point A to point B [on time for class] actively being cautious of the squirming worms desperately easing their way from the sidewalk to the grass— well, that would add delays to anyone’s venture across campus.

This leads me to my second confession: I feel guilty if I step on a worm and I’d feel terrible if I ever walked into class on time with worm guts covering my combat boots.

Here’s my third confession: This simple act of kindness [worm-dodging], though irrelevant to many, reassures me that I am a good person.

I take the time to appreciate nature and life, even the slimy disgusting ones and I always go out of my way to do so.

Sometimes I battle with myself over whether or not I’ve been a good person that day, but I’ve begun to realize that it’s not me, it’s them.

I’m referring to society or any individual who uses manipulation as a tool to make one question his or her own identity or morals.

I’ve encountered many instances where another person was not only in denial about his or her actions, but defensive as well; then, convinced me that I was the bad guy.

Typically, when someone is defensive during confrontation, they will blame the person who confronted them in order to avoid responsibility or because they’re embarrassed, etc.

This used to impact me greatly.

If you know you’re a good person, that’s all you need to be happy with yourself.

Focus on your own behavior instead of exhausting yourself explaining why someone else is wrong.

The majority of the time, accepting the fact that a person will never apologize, admit their mistake or have the ability to see another perspective, will give you more peace within yourself than they will ever receive in a lifetime.

Respond to Ashley at