Always be aware of others’ opinions, don’t disregard them

I am a fourth year student at the University and, since my freshman year, I’d say I’ve gotten the hang of things.

I know to take a sip of my iced coffee before leaving the Union. I know to avoid Bible Bob. I have even named a few of the squirrels in old campus.

However, I did not expect to have a discussion in class on ice cream flavors. At least, not on the first day.

Chocolate, strawberry or vanilla?

I prefer butter pecan, but that’s beside the point.

My professor chose one “chocolate lover” and one “vanilla lover.”

She told them to create a solid argument, supported with facts, which would convert the other student to their side or favorite flavor.

After discussing how chocolate releases endorphins to make you happy to vanilla being the best choice because it is a “blank canvas” with endless toppings, the discussion had more purpose than humor.

My professor literally proved to the class how there is no right or wrong answer.

But not only that, she made us appreciate the classmates we were discussing with.

From one lecture, she showed her students to be tolerant of others not only by respecting their different viewpoints, but by questioning them as well.

Did anyone else grow up with a mom that said no, but never gave any reason or explanation?

Not having answers, even to what I thought were simple questions, made me want to be devious.

It’s okay to question someone’s beliefs, not in the hopes to change their views, but to respect them. Or to learn more about them.

Whether it’s the simple topic of ice cream, a heated debate or asking your mom if you can go to a friend’s house, remember to always respect the other’s views and reasonings.

And remember that their differing opinions from yours do not make them bad people.

Respond to Ashley at