Falcons break losing streak with high activity on defense

The BG Men’s basketball offense woke up Wednesday night against Central Michigan as they were able to end their four-game losing streak.

The Falcons defeated the Chippewas by a score of 67-57, as junior Richaun Holmes and sophomore Spencer Parker had 20 points each.

It was a tight game throughout the first half, but the Chippewas held a slight advantage until the 7:35 minute mark in the first half when they led 24-17.

The Falcons then went on a 16-4 run, started by six straight points by Holmes, finished with three points by junior Anthony Henderson and five from Parker.

“We wanted to take them out of their rhythm offensively so we switched to the zone,” Holmes said. “Our activity in the zone is what caused all the turnovers and the missed shots.”

They would go into halftime with a 33-28 lead and start the second half on the same run. They ended the first half with the Chippewas not scoring until the 13:07 minute mark of the half. That 11-3 run put the Falcons up 44-31. Their defense forced five turnovers in those seven minutes and contested every shot that the Chippewas put up.

Defense is one thing that has stayed true for the Falcons all season, even through their four-game losing streak, and it was another big factor Wednesday night. The Falcons forced 16 turnovers and scored 21 points off of those turnovers, They did not only play good half-court defense; they also played the transition defense, only allowing four fast break points.

“Our team defense in our man was much better in the second half,” head coach Louis Orr said.

Senior Cameron Black and Holmes came into this game ranked number two and three on the BG career block list and both added to that total. Holmes finished four blocks while Black finished with three.

Black did not score but his presence down low was a big reason for the Falcons win.

“Cam was big because he would have to get over to the corners a lot,” Orr said. “He was active and him recovering helped force a lot of turnovers.”

On the offensive side of the ball the Falcons finally saw their hard work pay off Holmes said. Parker finished with 20 points, Henderson finshed with 13 points and two three pointers.

“We all have put in extra time shooting the ball,” Holmes said. “We were able to get into a rhythm offensively and we felt good.”

Turnovers were a problem in the past for the Falcons but not tonight as they had 12 turnovers but moved the ball very effectively as they had 16 assists on 23 shots made.

“12 turnovers I think is the least amount of turnovers we have had in awhile,” Orr said.

The Falcons will look to build off this home win as the travel to Western Michigan Jan. 19 for a meeting with the Broncos.

“Homecourt is something you want to own, you want to protect your home court,” Orr said. “It was good to get this win before we go on the road, but every game is unique.”