BGSU hockey wins on Carpenter’s debut, ties on Saturday

Bryce Williamson fights off a defender as he takes the puck down the ice.

The BG Ice Hockey team earned three points this weekend against the Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks at home.

On Friday night, the Falcons defeated the Nanooks 3-0 as goaltender Tommy Burke earned his third career shutout. BG received goals from Adam Berkle, Ryan Carpenter and Bryce Williamson in the win. It was Carpenter’s first goal in his season debut on Friday.

“I was just excited to be back with the boys, back with the team, back in the locker room, to be a part of the team,” said forward Ryan Carpenter.

BG went 0-for-5 on the power play, while going 2-for-2 on the penalty kill. The allowed 16 shots on goal and tallied 11 blocked shots on the night.

“I’m really happy with the way we defended,” BG head coach Chris Bergeron said. “We defended hard… When there was a breakdown, Burke was there.”

On Saturday night, the Falcons tied the Nanooks 1-1 as goaltender Tommy Burke made 31 saves on the night.

The Falcons only goal on the night was scored by Mark Cooper early in the game.

“Our guys are upset,” said Bergeron. “They feel like they left something out there and that’s a good thing.

“That means a tie is not good enough. More guys than not were disappointed with the tie. Again, that talks where our program is now and where we feel we’re heading. I’m not unhappy with the weekend.”

BG went 0-for-2 on the power play, while going 6-for-6 on the penalty kill. The Falcons have now taken at least one point in their last six WCHA games, going 4-0-2 for 10 total points during that streak.

Burke remains unbeaten at the BGSU Ice Arena with a record of 5-0-2, including a 1.28 goals-against average and a .949 save percentage in the seven games this season.

With the tie, the Falcons now have a record of 12-9-5 overall, and 9-6-3 in league standings. The Nanooks overall record sits at 8-10-4, while moving to 5-9-2 in the WCHA.

The Falcons will continue their six-game homestand on Jan. 24-25 against the Lake Superior State University Lakers at the BGSU Ice Arena. The puck will drop at 7:07 p.m. on both nights.