University offers options for students to beat weather conditions

For many people, the winter weather may have put their spirits in a slump.

But there are tips on getting out of the “winter blues” to put some spirit back into your life. Director of Wellness Faith Yingling has provided a few helpful ways to get out of that slump you may have been in and to reassure yourself that winter really will end, even it is not for a few months.

1. Check out the activities the University has to offer.

There are different activities going on each week for students at the University and with an event like “Big Playground” getting close, they serve as a stress reliever as well.

“There are tons of activities right here on campus you can take part in,” Yingling said. “Campus updates are filled with so many different things so you don’t have to go very far.”

2. Try to get out and travel when you have free time.

If you live in a residence hall, it’s only inevitable before wanting to get off campus. Gather up some friends and take a drive out of town.

“If you have transportation go ahead and travel a little bit,” Yingling said. “If you do some digging you can find some interesting things to take part of.”

3. Get out of your apartment or residence hall and attend some of the sporting events.

It doesn’t matter if you enjoy sports, or don’t know anything about them at all. It’s healthy to just enjoy a game and being with people to beat the cold winter months.

“If you’re interested in sports, we have ice hockey and basketball,” Yingling said. “There are so many games to check out.”

4. Go get a bite to eat with friends throughout town.

It doesn’t matter if it’s fast food or if it’s a sit-down restaurant. Food is food. Take a break from homework and get out for some fresh air.

“There are many great eateries along Main Street,” Yingling said.

5. Enjoy the sunlight.

Even though the temperatures are still low and the wind doesn’t help, find a chance to go out and walk your dog or to just enjoy the sun. Remember, winter will end even though it seems like it never will.

“Health-wise, walking is great,” Yingling said. “Getting sunlight and doing a winter sport is great.”