Make effort to grow, aim to change

The textbook for my media and design class repeats a motivating, albeit blunt, phrase throughout its chapters: Don’t be a wimp.

While the advice is meant to encourage students to be bold with design choices, like using large type sizes, cool fonts and striking colors, I can’t help but feel like the author is pushing us forward in life, too.

I know it sounds funny, but being told to stop being so timid and start being brave over and over again, even through the medium of text, is starting to get to me.

Throughout my college career I’ve been very cautious and timid. I worry that I’m not good enough to accomplish new, exciting things and that I’ll fail trying.

When it comes to traveling outside of my comfort zone, I face a wall of anxiety and jitters.

It took me until now to realize that college affords you a safety net, unlike the “real world.”

If you take a class because the subject is interesting and meaningful to you, but more challenging than anticipated, you can reach out to your classmates, the professor or tutors to help you.

If you join a club and it doesn’t turn out to be what you expected, you can stay and try to mix things up or you can leave and join a different club.

Most stresses that come with trying new things are resolved in a semester’s time or less, with little to no lasting consequences.

What’s important is that you did something you wanted to do, and you learned about what you wanted to gain from it. If you didn’t get what you wanted out of the class or club, you know what to look out for to get it in the future.

Branching out in college, even slowly or in small steps, helps you feel more confident in being courageous in the “real world.”

It’s almost like a class itself.

Most importantly, you’ll never sit around and wonder “what if…”

The way I see it is, a lengthy magazine article in 12 point Times New Roman or similar font is what readers prefer.

But the story is boring and dull without bold subheadings and an awesome, creative headline.

Take advantage of the time and opportunities you have here as a student to add color into your life.

Respond to Emily at