Falcon 4 News: Week of February 28

Falcon 4 News Graphic

Local

COVID-19 BGSU no longer requires face coverings

BGSU has been adapting through COVID-19 in order to keep students and faculty safe. After the CDC updated the mask mandate this week based on county levels, the university has altered their procedures for mask wearing as well. Now, based on the level of hospitalizations and cases in the surrounding area, they are no longer requiring masks indoors, but this is subject to change as numbers rise and fall.

BGSU students writing letters for hazing prevention

Starting this week, BGSU students will start a letter-writing campaign to bring awareness to schools in the surrounding area about hazing. According to the Sentinel-Tribune, these letters will be sent to administrators of K-12 schools urging them to identify and discuss hazing with students. BGSU students will meet in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union from 11 a.m. through 12:30 p.m. in room 314. This organization is in honor of the one-year anniversary of the passing of student Stone Foltz.

New Wood County Storm Sewer Project

County Engineer John Musteric and Storm Water Coordinator Kevin Laughlin have proposed the need for new storm water lines along Lime City road in Perrysburg Township and E. Broadway St. in Lake Township in the Wood County Commissioners meeting last week. They also exhibited the needs of a county-wide lidar and hydrography survey. According to statistics in a Sentinel-Tribune article, these proposed projects will cost an estimated $437,500.

Old Post Office Replaced

As many in Wood County mourn the demolition of the old post office and senior center, Bowling Green Public Services Director, Joe Fawcett states the inability to have upgraded it to ADA standards. “We couldn’t have just rehabbed the center,” he said in a BG Independent News article. The building was not big enough for the activities being held there, and there were too many accessibility issues to leave it the way it was. “The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. However, as long as no federal funds are used on the site, the city can do with it as it wished,” Fawcett said to BG Independent News.  

State

DeWine’s response to Ukraine crisis

Governor Mike DeWine is taking steps to show support for Ukraine in Ohio. Sunday, Feb. 27 was declared a “Day of Prayer” for Ukraine across the state during Russian invasions. DeWine was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch article saying, “We condemn this violence and threats to innocent civilians.” He has also directed that the state stop any buying and selling of Russian Standard Vodka, meaning the Ohio Division of Liquor Control will pull the estimated 6,400 bottles in the state.

Cleveland Museum of Art celebrates Black History month

The Cleveland Museum of Art has a new exhibition, “Currents and Constellations: Black Art in Focus,” making a statement through exhibiting works by Black artists that are rooted in history. This exhibit is one of four on view that are showing the works of minorities and a timely show given the current national debate on how to teach the history of slavery and racism. An article in Cleveland.com says that prints by Elizabeth Catlett are currently on view that explore representations of the Black family.

OSU Women’s basketball makes top ten

The Ohio State women’s basketball team has won a position as Big Ten co-champions along with the Iowa Hawkeyes. This win did not come easy as starting point guard, Madison Greene, was out with a season-ending injury at the beginning of the tournament last week, not being able to play in the first game against Iowa City. Coach Kevin McGuff said in an Akron Beacon Journal article, “We really had to fight, scratch and claw to get here…”

COVID-19 

According to the Ohio Department of Health, Ohio has seen 1,330 new cases on the week of Feb. 26, which is under the current average of 2,200 new cases per week, putting the total overall case number at 2,652,634. There have been 86 new hospitalizations and 10 new ICU admissions. The ODH updates the weekly numbers twice a week, usually on Tuesdays and Fridays.

National

Ketanji Brown Jackson’s supreme court nomination

President Joe Biden has announced his nominee to replace Justice Stephen Breyer. Currently on DC’s Federal Appellate Court, Ketanji Brown Jackson, could be the first ever Black woman on the high court. “For too long, our government, our courts haven’t looked like America,” Biden said in a CNN article, “I believe it’s time that we have a court reflect the full talents and greatness of our nation with a nominee of extraordinary qualifications, and that we inspire all young people to believe that they can one day serve their country at the highest level.” This choice has garnered much praise for what she might achieve and whom she represents.

New CDC mask mandate

After the CDC changed the nationwide mask policies to be more focused on county hospitalizations and less on case numbers, many schoolchildren are still being advised to wear face coverings, depending on the county they live in. According to statistics in an AP News article, “That’s the situation in about 37% of US counties, where about 28% of Americans live.” With new variants, protection from immunity continues to rise.

BP takes stance against Russia

Against the backdrop of the Russian invasion of Ukraine abroad and economic challenges including spiraling inflation, President Joe Biden delivered his first State of the Union speech last night, focusing on unity and his economic agenda. Biden announced a ban on Russian flights in U.S. airspace that will be in full effect by the end of the day Wednesday. His speech, however, focused heavily on his wide-ranging domestic agenda, including his Unity Agenda centered on healthcare. He also called on Congress to enact some gun control measures, apply more scrutiny to social media platforms, and ensure corporations pay what he called “their fair share of taxes.”

Florida’s new school bill

Florida’s House of Representatives passed a bill that limits how and when educators are allowed to discuss gender and sexual orientation in the classroom. This bill has been controversial for many and parents are saying that it might make school harder for LGBTQ+ youth, who already face a higher rate of bullying. This bill only affects classrooms up to the third grade, and there is a new policy on teachers notifying parents when there is a change in their students mental or emotional health. According to NPR, this bill will also allow schools to withhold any information that might seemingly result in abuse, abandonment or neglect.