Wolverines ground Falcons softball, top-ranked pitchers face off

Women’s softball traveled to Ann Arbor, Michigan, on March 29 to take on Big Ten opponent University of Michigan, hoping to build on their momentum after a 5-3 victory in Athens against the Ohio Bobcats this past weekend.

It was expected to be low scoring as it was a pitching matchup between two of the nation’s best, Bowling Green’s Payton Gottshall and Michigan’s Alex Storako. Both pitchers are ranked nationally in the Top 15 for strikeouts. Storako was the Big Ten’s pitcher of the year last year and a second team All-American.

Michigan scored the first run in the bottom of the second inning, courtesy of freshman Ellie Sieler’s first collegiate home run. The Wolverines would go on to score again in the third and fifth innings to pull away with a 3-0 lead. 

Storako shined in her 14th win of the season for the Wolverines, registering 17 strikeouts during her complete game one-hitter. The Falcons lone hit came from Greta L’Esperance in the fourth inning when she singled and stole her 16th base of the season.

Bowling Green will look to regroup this weekend at home when the Toledo Rockets come to town for another Battle of I-75.