USG denounces HB 616

usg report 9/1 – Graphic by Hallie Riley

USG’s new administration unanimously passed their first resolution on April 18, denouncing Ohio House Bill 616.

The resolution explains that HB 616 opposes the teaching of sexual orientation, gender identity, diversity topics, and critical race theory for grades kindergarten through 12th grade.

According to ABC 6, Stonewall Columbus, Cleveland’s LGBTQ+ community organization,  opposes the bill because “…this legislation directly impacts young people in the most formative times in their lives and what we will continue to see is that will impact them as they grow and possibly leave the state.”

In support of the LGBTQ+ community, USG passed S.R. 01, asking students, faculty and staff to contact the Ohio representatives whose contact information can be found on the Ohio Government’s website for different counties.

USG also pushes students, faculty and staff to sign the “Standing in Opposition to House Bill 616” petition on Change.org.

The resolution places emphasis on other universities to follow in BGSU’s footsteps in forcing the downvote for HB 616.

USG President Zachary Noesen said the resolution was passed because it “is fantastic and that is awesome.”

But he clarified USG’s work opposing the bill doesn’t stop after passing the resolution.

“That is absolutely not the end of USG’s involvement in this so, sign the petition, call the legislators, stay involved,” he said.

Noesen added two new senator positions to the cabinet: Damon Sherry as director of student engagement and Elyse Adrian as director of community engagement.

New senators were also elected:

• Chien Minh Tran Phouc; International Senator

• Tate Stewart; College of Musical Arts Senator