Falcons drop to 1-3 after loss to Mississippi State

BGSU vs MISS. ST

STARKVILLE, MISS- BGSU Football made the long journey down south to take on the Mississippi State Bulldogs in a game where the Falcons were without Head Coach Scot Loeffler and starting quarterback Matt McDonald. Loeffler didn’t make the trip with the team due to “a personal health reason” earlier in the week, while McDonald’s did not dress due to injury. In his place, junior Camden Orth got the start at quarterback for the Orange and Brown.

It would be all Bulldogs on Saturday thanks to the 406 yards and six touchdown passes from Will Rogers, who also tied a school record. The Air Raid offense was back in full force for Mike Leach’s team against the Falcons. Rogers completed 38 of his 49 passes, connecting with 12 different receivers. Rogers completed at least 78% of his passes for the third time this season, and his school record of six touchdowns was matched with those six scores.  For the Bulldogs, Caleb Ducking had seven receptions for a career-high 96 yards and two touchdowns. “Tulu” Lideatrick Griffin added another 70 yards on two kickoff returns in addition to his 54 yards and touchdown on five catches.

As for the Falcons, Orth would finish with 172 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception on 7 completions in 28 attempts. One of the touchdowns would go to tight end Harold Fannin Jr., his first career touchdown. Another notable Falcon was wide receiver Tyrone Broden, who had two catches for 30 yards and a score.

Acting Head Coach Steve Morrison was pleased with Falcon effort,

“Obviously, not the outcome that we wanted by any means, but they played hard,” Morrison said. 

The Falcons open the MAC slate next week on the road against the Akron Zips, with hopes that Loeffler and McDonald both are ready to return. 

For more information about the game, visit bgsufalcons.com