Falcon Volleyball Begin MAC Season Undefeated 2-0

BGSU Volleyball 9/23-24

Over the weekend, BGSU Volleyball traveled to Kent State for the first MAC series of the season, earning a weekend sweep of the Golden Flashes.

Here is how is went down.

Friday 

The Falcons opened the weekend strong by posting a 3-1 win over Kent State (25-8, 25-21, 24-26, and 28-26). 

Set 1: 

Bowling Green started off strong with a 3-0 lead and used that momentum to continue adding to that lead. Later in the set, the Falcons found themselves with a 7-4 lead when Bowling Green exploded with a run of 12 consecutive points. With a score of 21-8, the Falcons closed with a four-point run securing the set for the Brown and Orange. Leaders in this first set were Petra Indrova  and Katelyn Meyer with three kills apiece.   

Set 2:  

The second set began with Kent State keeping the score closer than before, trading with the Falcons for the first few points. The score remained close until about halfway through the set, when the Falcons made an aggressive five-point run at the Golden Flashes. With 13 assists by Jaden Walz and 20 kills shared between six different Falcons, Bowling Green took advantage of their strong offense to take this set. The Falcons, slowly inching towards 25 points, faced a four-point run from Kent State nearing the end of the set. With a score of 24-21, freshman Lauryn Hovey ended the second set with a kill.  

Set 3:  

The third set started with both teams playing neck and neck for the first 11 points of the set. However, the Golden Flashes would show some fight. The Falcons allowed a three-point run before responding with a six-point run of their own. Kent State, refusing to let Bowling Green’s lead grow any larger, began to even out the score until both teams were tied up 21-21. The Falcons struck first with a 3-0 run but were quickly humbled by a 4-0 run by Kent State to end the set. 

Set 4:  

Continuing the trend of the third set, Kent State began the fourth set with a 4-0 run. The Falcons responded with a 2-0 run closely followed by a 3-0 run, making the score tied up at five points each. Later, following a 5-0 run, the score was now 10-7. Following a nonconsecutive 5-2 run by the Golden Flashes, the score was all tied up with 12 points a piece. The Falcons added to the score with a five point run, making the score 17-13. Later, due to attack errors and kills for each team, Bowling Green and Kent State were tied with 20 points each. The set registered extra points as the Falcons and Flashes traded off points, making the score 25-26. The match ended with a Falcon three-point run to win the set 28-26.

Saturday

The Falcons ended the weekend with a 3-0 sweep of Kent State (26-24, 25-15, and 25-21). Lauryn Hovey lead the team with 15 kills and registered three aces, three blocks, six digs, and 16 assists. Other team leaders were Jaden Walz with 22 assists and Yelianiz Torres with 13 digs.  

Set 1:  

The Falcons began strong with a 6-0 run to start the set. With a 4-3 and 4-0 run for the Golden Flashes, the score was now 10-7. Soon after, a four-point run by the Flashes and a kill from Petra Indrova would even the score 12-12. The Falcons took a back seat, as Kent State took a five point run, giving the Flashes a 17-12 lead. With both teams slowly closing the gap between them; the score was 24-21, when the Falcons came from behind with a 5-0 run to secure the set with a final score of 26-24. Bowling Green booked 13 kills and 20 assists in this set alone, and this momentum would carry into the second set of the match.  

Set 2: 

The Falcons started the second set strong with a 4-0 lead and then continued to extend the lead to 8-2. With Kent State slowly closing the gap, the Falcons responded with a nonconsecutive run for seven points, making the score 18-13. The Orange and Brown expanded on this momentum with a 6-0 run earning an 11 point lead from Kent State, making the score 24-13. The Falcons posted 15 kills and two aces, led by Mia Tyler and Lauryn Hovey with four each. The set concluded with a service error from Kent State, giving Bowling Green a 25-15 victory.

Set 3:  

The third set started with Kent State and Bowling Green slowly trading off points. With a score of 5-3 the Falcons began to earn a lead for themselves. Later in the set, the Falcons had a 6-0 run to extend their lead 12-5. With a 4-1 run from Kent State, the score would remain in Bowling Green’s favor, 13-9. Bowling Green followed with a 5-2 run giving the set a score of 18-11. The Falcons continued to extend their lead with a 3-0 run and was followed by a five point run by Kent State resulting in a 24-18 set. The Golden Flashes attempted to tie it up but fell short with a 3-0 run, allowing Bowling Green to win 25-21. With this set secured, the Falcons claimed their second sweep of the season.  

With an undefeated MAC record, the Falcons will return home this week to play Ohio University on Friday and Saturday. 

For more information, go to bgsufalcons.com

PHOTO CREDIT: BGSU ATHLETICS