Possible increase to student legal services fee on the way

usg report 9/1 – Graphic by Hallie Riley

The Undergraduate Student Government read in a new resolution Monday.

Senate Resolution 09 is “formally supporting the promotion of an increase in the optional student legal services fee from $9 to $13.” 

Alex Chiarelott, President of USG, stated that “this is something that they (Student Legal Services) have wanted to do for a couple of years now.” 

When asked what exactly the Student Legal Services does, Chiarelott responded that “a lot of it deals with landlord issues in off-campus housing, that’s kind of the biggest part of what they do.”

The last time this fee was increased was during 2014 when it was raised from $7 to $9. 

S.R. 09 states, “the Undergraduate Student Government supports the maintenance of services provided by Student Legal Services and the decisions brought to the university by Student Legal Services.” 

Chiarelott added that “the rationale behind it is to hopefully be able to hire on a third attorney, currently there are two.” 

This resolution will be fully supported by USG if passed in the next general assembly. 

Starting in February, USG as well as other organizations on campus will be participating in a Food Drive surrounding the upcoming Superbowl known as “Soup or Bowl”.