Outdoor team secures 10 different top 10 finishes

The Bowling Green track and field team had a strong showing in the opening of their outdoor season, ending their meet with 10 top 10 finishes in one of the nation’s largest meets.

On the first day, distance runners Becca Rae and Mackenzie McMillin both set personal records in their respective events.

In the 5,000, Rae improved her time by more than 36 seconds by running the event in 17 minutes 7.60 seconds. She missed the Mid-American Conference automatic qualifying mark by just 0.21 seconds.

Rae is now one of only eight people in the programs history to hit that time and is the 10th fastest in BGSU history.

McMillin set her personal best in the 10,000, running a time of 36 minutes 14.29 seconds. Her last fastest time was at last year’s MAC championships, which was more than 100 seconds slower than at this meet.

In first day sprints, senior Brittany Sinclair finished ninth in the 400 with a time of 56.21 seconds. That time was less than half a second away from the MAC automatic qualifying mark. Alicia Arnold finished seventh in the 100 with a time of 12.24 seconds.

In the shot put, former NCAA regional qualifier Makenzie Wheat finished second with a throw of 46 feet 11.75 inches.

Redshirt sophomore Kori Reiser also had a big performance in the throws section, competing in the discus. She finished seventh in the invitational portion with a throw of 147

feet 1 inch.

The team continued to be successful on the second day of the meet, adding four more top 10 finishes.

Sinclair competed in the 400 hurdles in a field of 60 competitors. Running a new personal best, Sinclair finished with a time of 61.13 seconds. That time finished her at second place overall and first among the MAC runners.

The time gave Sinclair a MAC automatic qualifying mark and made her the 10th fastest in

BGSU history.

The Falcon 800 relay team posted a time of 1 minute 41.15 seconds to place fourth overall

in the meet.

In the hammer throw, redshirt sophomore Kayla Velasquez threw a distance of 162 feet 6 inches to finish eighth in her event.

“We had good things happen across all of our event groups this weekend,” head coach Lou Snelling said. “Conditions were challenging at points, but that can be a big part of outdoors so it was a good experience to have early in the season.”

The team will be back in action in a dual meet against conference rival Toledo on Friday.