Mayweather cements himself in greatest of all-time conversation, defeats Pacquiao handedly

The fight we had all been waiting for, the fight that took five years to happen, the fight that sparked routine confrontation … finally happened.

The bout between undefeated Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao went the full 12 rounds and did not disappoint.

But of course, the majority of those who tuned in seemed to have an issue with the fight in one form or another.

Whether it was the backlash toward the participants for taking so long to agree to a fight, Mayweather’s “boring” style of boxing, Pacquiao’s newfound shoulder injury released post-fight, or the large group of fans who were just upset because they had a rooting interest against Mayweather, the public reaction to the fight differed greatly from my own.

This is to be expected at this point.

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I’m used to the majority of others having a vendetta against my choices to root for, but this instance especially, did not warrant the hatred toward Mayweather.

Sure his out-of-the-ring shenanigans are not endorsement-worthy, his recently publicized and documented domestic violence history does not warrant sympathy, but his performance in the ring should leave skeptics without doubt.

Obviously a perfect 47-0 heading into the fight, knocking out more than half of his opponents, there was nearly no reason for so many people to strongly root against Mayweather. Regardless, the number of fans exponentially grew as the fight drew closer.

Then, on the night of the fight, as the suspense heightened, the fight finally started at 11:58 p.m. with just two

minutes to spare.

And yet again, Mayweather toyed with Pacquiao for 36 minutes, consistently making the sure-fire puncher that Pacquiao was known to be, routinely miss. Scampering around the ring utilizing brilliant footwork, or dodging his head back and forth, side-to-side, Pacquiao in all reality … had no chance.

And no matter how much you may have wanted to root against Floyd, or simply just hate him as a person, it doesn’t stop the ignorance you exhibited by actually thinking he would lose the fight.

Still the best fighter of our generation and sternly in the conversation of the greatest boxers of all-time, Mayweather remains unblemished inside the ring. No matter how much you may dislike him as a boxer, as a person, or as an arrogant billionaire, Floyd is a legend in the sport and he showed us that again on Saturday night.