Role of Student Affairs discussed at USG

The role of student affairs and new degree programs at the University were some of the topics discussed at this week’s Undergraduate Student Government meeting.

Sidney Childs, interim vice president of Student Affairs, spoke to the members of USG.

Childs discussed several topics related to student affairs on campus, including goals for student affairs on campus and the role that Student Affairs plays among University students.

“At the end of the day, our job is to make sure the students feel connected here at the university,” Childs said when discussing the Division of Student Affairs.

The Division of Student Affairs works to keep students connect and to find ways to keep students engaged on campus.

In addition to working with current students, Student Affairs also tries to connect with alumni and to keep them engaged on campus after graduation.

Childs said that the division would like to have some type of program or different activities to keep alumni engaged on campus.

“We are also looking at our partnerships across the division in terms of how we partner more with our academic affairs folks,” said Childs.

Childs said the partnerships might help to make sure that the programs, initiatives and efforts that the division is utilizing are helping to engage students.

Childs also said Student Affairs would like to utilize technology, such as apps for phones, to reach more students.

Connecting and engaging students on campus goes beyond just Student Affairs.

The degrees and programs that the University offers contributes to students being involved and engaged on campus and the University now has three more to offer.

The three new programs are a master of science and forensic science, a bachelor of arts in biology and a bachelor of science in allied health.

Student will be able to enroll in these for fall of 2016.

Students also had a chance to get engaged in the community this past Thursday during the mayoral debate.

USG, The BG News, BG Votes and the Andrew Goodman foundation hosted a debate this past weekend in honor of the mayoral debate happening in Bowling Green.

“It’s really just providing the students the opportunity to hear about these important issues and to hear the candidates talk about what they want to do for Bowling Green as a city,” said Danielle Parker, vice president of USG.