USG sets goals for school year

The Undergraduate Student Government had their first meeting to discuss their plan for the year on Monday, Aug. 24.

One thing that USG is trying to do is hear more voices from multicultural communities such as Vision, Black Student Union, Latino Student Union and World Student Association, according to the USG president, Victor Senn.

Student safety is also a big priority for USG this year.

Senn said that “safety to us is creating safe spaces for students regardless of their identity or whatever it may be.”

USG also wants to become more visible on campus for students.

Danielle Parker, USG Vice President, said, “One of the mottos we’ve been recently adopting is just visibility is accountability. So, really just being a strong presence on campus and making sure that students know that we are their representation and we are there to help.”

Another way that USG is becoming more visible is through social media such as the USG Twitter account and a video series with Key Magazine.

Senn said, “We really want to be the student voice and we need help from the students to do that.”

BGSU already is a clean air campus but USG is also working towards a tobacco free policy on campus.

Parker said, “It is really just a small working group right now … We are really trying to get more research and finding out what other universities are doing to have a better understanding of how BGSU’s would work. It’s really just in the researching phase. Getting some more opinions on that, getting some more feedback and really just figuring out how we would market that and how we would enforce that.”

Senn added, “Nothing is final yet. These are conversations that are still happening.”

Another thing USG wants to do is make people more aware of the routes that go off campus.

Senn said more routes will be added by the athletics district near the football stadium and the Stroh.

These additions will become a permanent part of the route and could benefit people such as student athletes.