Richaun Holmes gets drafted to Philadelphia 76ers

Bowling Green State University alumni Richaun Holmes was selected by the Philadelphia 76ers during the 2015 NBA draft.

Holmes graduated from BGSU this spring, majoring in Liberal Studies.

This is the first time since 1997 that a BGSU Falcon has been drafted into the NBA. Holmes was also the first NBA draft pick from the Mid-American Conference since 2003.

The 21 year-old began playing for the Falcons during the 2012-13 season and has since become a team standout.

Holmes competed in the invite only NBA Draft Combine in May where he met with or worked out for 16 different NBA franchises for two months during the pre-draft workout sessions.

In April, Holmes was named to the 2015 Portsmouth Invitational All-Tournament Team where NBA scouts and coaches watched as he averages 14.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, 3.7 blocks and 2 steals per game.

During the 2014-15 season, Holmes was named MAC Defensive Player of the Year and BGSU Male Athlete of the Year.

He was also named MAC East Division Men’s Basketball Player of the Week four times during the duration of the season.

Holmes earned a spot on the 2014-15 All-MAC First-Team and the NABC District 14 All-District First-Team.

He ended the season ranked 19th nationally in blocked shots per game with 2.7 and 25th for total blocks with 83, which also allowed him to lead the MAC.

Holmes also led the MAC with a 56.3 field goal percentage.

He scored a career high 29 points during the Senior Night game against Kent State.

Holmes found himself named to the MAC All-Conference Third-Team during the 2013-14 season, during which he was named MAC East Division Player of the Week twice.

He was on the 2013-14 College Sports Madness MAC All-Conference Third-Team.

During the season he became BGSU’s all-time career blocked shots leader and set a new season’s block record with 88 blocks, second overall in the MAC and remaining in the top 30 nationally.

His first season with the Falcons found Holmes ranking third in the MAC and 36th nationally for blocked shots in 2012-13.

Holmes was drafted June 25 during the 2015 NBA Draft at the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, New York.

He was selected by the Philadelphia 76ers as pick number 37 during the second round.