Rugby club puts recent record on the line against OU

The BG rugby club seems to be coming into its own as of late.

After going 1-3 in its first four matches, the Falcons have since won their last two in a convincing fashion. This past weekend they took down the Toledo Celtics, a senior men’s team with a host of former BG alumni.

The Falcons beat the savvy veterans by a final of 38-10. They look to carry that momentum into Athens, Ohio this weekend as they will take on the Ohio Bobcats. Over the last two games the Falcons are averaging over 63 points per game, and as Ed Luther notes, the team has really gelled together as a group.

“I thought we had trouble executing early on this season, but as we’ve gotten used to the lineup changes our offense has gotten a lot better,” Luther said.

Their defense, albeit a staple of Luther’s game, has had some trouble with organization and having good position on the field.

“From a defensive standpoint we as a group have to do a better job of getting organized out there, especially out of lost possessions and lineouts,” Luther said. “I think for us to get better we need to really work in practice on the communication part of playing defense.”

Although this problem is alarming, with coach Tony Mazzarella’s attention to detail, look for the Falcons to have it corrected by next weekend.

On a side note, the Falcons are still waiting on word from USA Rugby to see if they will make it in the sixteen team battle for the National Championship at the end of this month. The tournament is composed of thirteen conference winners and three at-large bids.

The Falcons lost their conference to Davenport back in the fall, but there is a very good chance they will receive an at-large bid.